“Multum in parvo....”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We came upon the Origen quite by chance - the entrance is not obvious and the restaurant is small.
The rib-eye and duck we had were quite superb. There was also a wide choice of local Mexican cuisine and a good wine list. Understated but very classy and excellent service. It is difficult to understand why they do not promote themselves more obviously on the street. Well worth looking for.

1  Thank scirocco21

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Chef Rudolfo Castellanos takes the amazing variety of ingredients available locally to a new level. Seriously good food well presented. I enjoyed a lovely piece of dorado, atop rice, surrounded by a chorizo broth. Terrific flavors and the best excuse for drinking red wine with fish. Origen also offers a cheese plate with four Oaxaqueno cheeses accompanied by a tart/sweet tomato 'jam'. Great wine selection and a good tempranillo by the glass.

Best restaurant meal on my trip to Oaxaca.

1  Thank fls35
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Oaxaca three weeks ago. Our first night we all went to Origen for dinner. The food is wonderful and the drinks delicious and well priced. The menu is fresh and with fewer choices than a regular restaurant. If you are into food~ really good food, I would definitely enjoy this restaurant. We all liked it so much, we decided to make it our farewell dinner restaurant 8 days later!

1  Thank neelokb
Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are many fine restaurants serving good Oaxacan food. The simple ones cost about US$3 for a good meal, the more upscale ones about US$10. I wanted to try some top end gourmet ones that offer New style Mexican or fusion cooking and that is what I am reviewing. They all cost about US$20 unless noted. Service and ambiance is good at all the ones I tried.

5 stars: The best one by far is Origen. It has an extremely varied menu and I went several times and ate Duck breast and confit of Duck leg, rack of lamb, confit of suckling goat, sweetbreads, pigs feet terrine cassoulet, Quail and also Mexican standards served in New style . Each is served with vegetables and garnishes that are uncommon in other restaurants.

4 stars: I also went to Danzantes, Catedral and Casa Oaxaca. These were all good and similar price except Casa Oaxaca which is about $35 average. They each had one or two unusual dishes but menus were mainly Mexican standard but served more attractively often in new style.

2 stars: I also went to Café Bistrot Epicurio. Same price but pretty disappointing.

Several of these have one or 2 microbrewery beers but Origen has 8 to choose from.

I have written reviews of all these others.

1  Thank VancouverRainforest
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Chef Rodolfo Castellanos and his team have created the most marvellous dining experience right in the heart of Oaxaca - without doubt, the best food we have discovered in 2 weeks (so far) in Mexico. The dining courtyard is very atmospheric, with a tantalising view into the kitchen. The lamb, the duck and the chicken are exceptional, with an excellent wine list (from Spain or closer to home) and, as others have noted, fantastic desserts. We were inspired to arrange a cooking class with Rodolfo, which was great fun and gave us good insight into traditional oaxacena ingredients and cuisine.