“Just right”

Cuisines: Mexican, International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I shared a steak dinner, which came with plenty of salad for each of us, and a bit of potato and broccoli. Splitting a dinner made it very economical, and there was plenty of good-tasting food (the salad was especially memorable) for the two of us. I recommend this place without reservation.

There are newer reviews for El Quinque

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This family-run restaurant on the north end of Alcala is one of the few we've eaten at in Oaxaca that serves a salad and vegetables with dinner, so if you're feeling vegetable-deprived--and you very well may be after a few days in this city--Quinque is a good choice. I had what were called chicken fajitas, and though it wasn't what I expected, it was good. My wife and our dinner companions had fish and liked it. Prices are reasonable and service is good. Quinque is very popular among gringos, possibly from the short-stay apartments on this end of town.

1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed January 20, 2013

If I eat two hamburgers a year that's a lot. I will exceed my quota at this place in a couple of short weeks. They had two versions on the menu. A big boy size and a junior which is slightly larger than a quarter pounder. We both went for the junior. Both versions come with bacon and Oaxacan cheese cooked as you ask. The first bite tells the story. Just perfect. Chrispy fried potatoes and a small salad completed the plate. My wife had a glass of wine and I had the complementary hibiscus tea. The bill was about eight bucks a piece. Several other choices on the menu. Family run, mostly gringo clientel. Just a few tables. Excellent and caring service. Don't miss this place.

1  Thank SaguaroJoe
Reviewed January 19, 2013

great restaurant, family environment, simple but absolutely well-done food. if you want to take a break of the oaxacan style, they offer a mexican cuisine from the north. highly recommended.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

El Quinque is a gringo watering hole, but sometimes one just needs a decent hamburger. This one is, and accompanied by bacon, cheese, avocado, and tomatoe, as well as crispy fried potatoes and a salad. At 80 pesos, it was a very good value. The restaurant is family owned and one of the young owners speaks excellent English and was very accomodating, Googling instantly some questions we had about various mezcal issues. My pasta carbonara was pricey and disappointing, but it was late at night. Our next door neighbor here runs out to get the hamburgers to go when she has someone over: how can you go wrong?