“Excellent home-made Italian!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Quinque

El Quinque
Ranked #16 of 453 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vigo, Spain
“Excellent home-made Italian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great service, home-made pasta, really delicious! And the price is great too! I would definitely recommend this place if you're looking for a break from Mexican food!

Visited September 2012

• Korean first
Los Gatos, California
“Our Favorite Oaxaca Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We picked this restaurant the first night because we were tired and it was the closest one we could walk to from our rental casa. This place is a find. We were in Oaxaca for 10 days and ate out twice a day. This was by far our favorite restaurant, so we certainly went back another time.

It is family-run, with the idea of good service and excellent food. My husband had the hamburger twice. The first time the burger meat was hand-ground New York steak. I don't know about the second time, but it was equally good.

These two brothers just plain love food--you can tell. Both brothers were intimately involved with the food. The one brother who was the server seemed as closely knowledgeable about the food as his brother who appeared to be "the cook". The secret is to ask "what is good today". The three of us ordered only what was recommended by the chef--not what was on the menu.

One day at lunch we stopped by, and I said I wasn't really that hungry. So they made me a light meal of steamed sea bass and vegetables. It was nothing short of fabulous--no tricky or fancy sauces, just great ingredients that were cooked right.

They don't seem to offer beverages other than the house lemonade and hibiscus tea. We loved the lemonade. But they offered to go out and buy cerveza and soft drinks, but we declined.

El Quinque is slightly overpriced by Mexico standards, but cheap by US standards. We went to some much more expensive restaurants touted in the guidebooks, and none came close to this place.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ClaireWilson36
Olympia WA
“These guys love to cook!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my go to place in Oaxaca for something other than the local dishes. Always original, always excellent.

Visited November 2012
Melbourne
“Great food with friendly, helpful service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

El Quinque was recommended to us by the owner of the apartment that we're renting on Oaxaca and we we've been back every day since the first... The food is fantastic value, especially the menu of the day, at only 50 pesos. Other dishes range from 70 to 140 pesos, not incredibly cheap by Mexican standards, but very cheap for the quality of the food.

All dishes, including the menu of the day, come with drinks (jamaica (hibiscus) or lemon), rice or potatos and salad. Anything extra we asked for (extra salad, drink, bread and even a few prawns beside our steak) was no problem and was never even charged for. On our third visit Estefan even insisted that we try a little of the local mezcal on the house!

Especially recommended are any of the menus of the day (tasty and cheap), the camarones ajillo (prawns with a lemon, garlic and chilli sauce) and the arrachera (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flank_steak for details). I've also heard good things about their burritos and hamburgers, so I'm looking forward to checking those out.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
“Amazing hamburgers, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

It sounds weird to say that I ate one of the best hamburgers I've ever eaten in Oaxaca, but it's true. Even the fries were awesome. My friends order the dish of the day, which is a tons of food for only 50 pesos. One of my friends comes here all the time. Hey, good food, good service, good price. Why not?

Visited February 2012