“Cuajimoloyas day hike”

Tierraventura Ecoturismo Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DISCOVER, EXPLORE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE ! Get to know Mexico in an intense and personal way with a small group of friends..
Reviewed November 18, 2014

Just back from Mexico - and myself & my girlfriend felt we should comment on a great day with Tierraventura walking around Cuajimoloyas in the Sierra Norte outside Oaxaca.

We were met punctually at our hotel by Eric - who took us up into the mountains outside Oaxaca where we met local Cuajimoloyas resident Sonia - who then guided us up into the forest for about 4 hours of informative, beautiful walking. Her knowledge of the plants her people have used for centuries was fascinating - plus she was great company and fun to be around. Eric was also good company - patient to answer a barrage of questions about Oaxaca, politics and the local indigenous people and customs.

After a great lunch in Cuajimoloyas - we finished the day with a walk up the local hill to join the festivities marking the end of Day Of The Dead - where Eric made us feel welcome amongst his friends & colleagues.... before we took the fast route back down to Cuajimoloyas on the (very fast) zipwire!

Thanks to Eric & Sonia for a fantastic, humbling and enjoyable day!

1  Thank Mark M
"wild horses"
"long hike"
"hiking boots"

Reviewed November 15, 2014

Just had an amazing hike along the Camino Real in Oaxaca thanks to Tierraventura Day Tours. Our guides, Eric and Carlos were fun, informative and very patient of our "over 50" pace of hiking. Hiked 18 km along a trail that has been used for hundreds of years beside a gorgeous river thru a pine and oak forest filled with exotic flora and then ghost canyon with Spanish moss that dropped down 30 feet from the tree tops. All of this then a delicious late lunch at a family owned café in one of the picturesque villages. What a great day!

Reviewed November 10, 2014

I recently went on a 2 day walking tour in the Sierra Norte from Cuajimoloyas to Lachatao/Amtaln with well organized and educational tour. I got a very good feel for the group of villages known as Pueblo Mancomunicados, their social structure, efforts to preserve a sustainable economy and efforts to protect the surrounding natural environment.

2  Thank dstein57
Reviewed November 8, 2014

We wanted a custom made tour of Oaxaca in a small group/ just our family of 4, and were very pleased to have found Tierraventura. Claudia replied very prompt to our emails and suggested various trips. We spend 5 days in Oaxaca and they arranged airport transfers, hotel and various tours for us. It was a very enjoyable experience to explore the mountains as well as the common tourist sites with very knowledgeable multi-lingual guides. Will definitely use them again.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 12, 2014

Eric Ramirez from Tierraventura is without doubt one of the best guides I've ever had. For one, he was able to rapidly understand what I was after (during a fantastic breakfast at a local organic market he recommended - Eric's proficiency in English and Spanish is exceptional). I was in Oaxaca to do some exploratory photography and therefore wanted to stay away from the beaten path. Moreover, I am a painter and wanted to see some of the striking street art of this region in their pristine "street" environment. Eric was able to accommodate these pretty unusual and difficult requests in a way that exceeded my expectations, and much more. In a single day, I was exposed to the beautiful and colorful richness of the culture and natural environment of this region of the world. We visited some of Eric's friends that run local businesses and still use traditional methods with striking results; we saw amazing graffiti art at the old train station; we had an off-road adventure in the valley and explored some of its stunning diversity; we sampled amazing food and cuisine along the way at small restaurants I would have never spotted by myself; and we were even able to fit a lovely hike to the sacred mountain at the end of the day. Nothing of this felt pre-programmed and rigid or rushed through: The day progressed very pleasantly from one exciting adventure to a coffee break to another adventure. As the day progressed, I would express my preferences and Eric would consistently meet my requests. Finally, each one of the adventures was highly educational. Each of the conversations with the artisans friends of Eric, the legends narrated on the way to the sacred mountain, the remarks on the use of various plants for natural medicine, of which Eric is an expert, were fantastic learning experiences and made this trip really worthwhile. 10+++++

1  Thank Marco F