Open today: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Santiago Apoalla and Ruta a la Costa - both excellent and unique experiences

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip with Claudia on Ruta a la Costa in Jan 2019 - an excellent balance... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Evi O
Expectations exceeded!

We're still marvelling at the 10 day trip we've just had in Mexico with Tierraventura. It far... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Zizi2010
UK

Recommended experiences in and around Oaxaca
from $100.00
from $50.99
from $50.99
More Info
All reviews pueblos mancomunados day hike sierra norte local guide medicinal plants coffee plantation hagia sofia la costa green macaws longer tour spanish moss cloud forest wild horses remote village eco tour oaxaca city candle making
Reviewed November 15, 2014

Just had an amazing hike along the Camino Real in Oaxaca thanks to Tierraventura Day Tours. Our guides, Eric and Carlos were fun, informative and very patient of our "over 50" pace of hiking. Hiked 18 km along a trail that has been used for hundreds of years beside a gorgeous river thru a pine and oak forest filled with exotic flora and then ghost canyon with Spanish moss that dropped down 30 feet from the tree tops. All of this then a delicious late lunch at a family owned café in one of the picturesque villages. What a great day!

Date of experience: October 2014
Reviewed November 10, 2014

I recently went on a 2 day walking tour in the Sierra Norte from Cuajimoloyas to Lachatao/Amtaln with well organized and educational tour. I got a very good feel for the group of villages known as Pueblo Mancomunicados, their social structure, efforts to preserve a sustainable economy and efforts to protect the surrounding natural environment.

Date of experience: November 2014
2  Thank dstein57
Reviewed November 8, 2014

We wanted a custom made tour of Oaxaca in a small group/ just our family of 4, and were very pleased to have found Tierraventura. Claudia replied very prompt to our emails and suggested various trips. We spend 5 days in Oaxaca and they arranged airport transfers, hotel and various tours for us. It was a very enjoyable experience to explore the mountains as well as the common tourist sites with very knowledgeable multi-lingual guides. Will definitely use them again.

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed October 12, 2014

Eric Ramirez from Tierraventura is without doubt one of the best guides I've ever had. For one, he was able to rapidly understand what I was after (during a fantastic breakfast at a local organic market he recommended - Eric's proficiency in English and Spanish is exceptional). I was in Oaxaca to do some exploratory photography and therefore wanted to stay away from the beaten path. Moreover, I am a painter and wanted to see some of the striking street art of this region in their pristine "street" environment. Eric was able to accommodate these pretty unusual and difficult requests in a way that exceeded my expectations, and much more. In a single day, I was exposed to the beautiful and colorful richness of the culture and natural environment of this region of the world. We visited some of Eric's friends that run local businesses and still use traditional methods with striking results; we saw amazing graffiti art at the old train station; we had an off-road adventure in the valley and explored some of its stunning diversity; we sampled amazing food and cuisine along the way at small restaurants I would have never spotted by myself; and we were even able to fit a lovely hike to the sacred mountain at the end of the day. Nothing of this felt pre-programmed and rigid or rushed through: The day progressed very pleasantly from one exciting adventure to a coffee break to another adventure. As the day progressed, I would express my preferences and Eric would consistently meet my requests. Finally, each one of the adventures was highly educational. Each of the conversations with the artisans friends of Eric, the legends narrated on the way to the sacred mountain, the remarks on the use of various plants for natural medicine, of which Eric is an expert, were fantastic learning experiences and made this trip really worthwhile. 10+++++

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Marco F
Reviewed October 5, 2014

From the moment we asked Tierraventura with help to select a tour, they gave us the utmost attention and customized our trip to our curiousity. We spent 2 fantastic days exploring the Sierra Norte of Oaxaca, from Cuajimoloyas to Latuvi and to Amatlán. The experience was simply fantastic. We got 2 tour guides: one a member of the Sierra Norte community and hence extremely knowledgeable of the area, and Eric, our tour guide in English who has some amazing stories to tell, not to mention the fact that he served as our bridge between the Oaxaca community and us. We also met Claudia, founder of the tours, who drove us around and shared some fascinating stories of her connection with Mexico. We hiked for 2 days and 24 kilometers in total. What makes this trip so unique is the small groups (we were only me and my boyfriend in the tour), their care to stablish a connection with local communities, and their love for Oaxaca. After our 2 days we felt we had left 2 very good friends and we hope to see them again in the future. Don't miss this if you're exploring Oaxaca!!!

Date of experience: September 2014