“Excellent school and experience”

Oaxaca International :: Spanish School
More attraction details
Owner description: Small spanish language school in oaxaca, located in the historic center of the city, only 3 blocks from the main square. School offers 4 students in a group class, private classes available. Students of all ages, spanish levels, nationalities are welcome.Two culturales activities included after classes per week and workbook included with no additional fee. Such as walking trips, corn tortillas workshop, oaxacan cooking classes, excursions, dance classes, painting workshops, ceramics workshops, etcetera.Member of the union of schools for spanish as a second language in oaxaca.10 years of experience teaching spanish as a second language.School offers homestay with local families including meals.Reasonable rates and discount for families and for students with a long staying.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I just completed a one week Spanish class and really enjoyed it. The school was small and teachers very friendly and knowledgeable. I was a beginner with no previous Spanish and came away with many Spanish words and phrases and a very basic understanding of the Spanish grammar. My husband's Spanish improved during the week and is certainly helping us communicate with the locals as we continue our travels in beautiful Mexico. We were both fortunate enough to have one on one teaching and can highly recommend Ileana and her team.

3  Thank wendy B

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Classes were small. Teachers were good and very nice. Course planned well. Able to meet you right where you are. The excursions were great too - everything you want to see in the area on behind the scenes type (small group) tours. Also did a great homestay through them. Ileana is helpful and flexible and knowledgeable and professional and warm!

We are a family of 4 with 2 elementary age children who have taken Spanish classes for a couple of years. They were very sweet and accommodating with the children but the children's classes could have included more interaction. They mostly focused on basic vocabulary (which the children mostly had already) and crafts, which kept them busy but didn't really add to their Spanish (though the homestay really did! )

I worried about going with the least expensive option but the quality was great and they were very flexible which I valued (ie, switching to do 2 or 3 hours a day).

4  Thank hdellarocca
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Overall, the school was a great experience and a fantastic value. The school was a tight knit community with good teachers and the included excursions were terrific. The price was cheaper than the other schools, yet the school was rated excellent on TripAdvisor and was, indeed, very good.

6  Thank eberman
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have just completed three weeks at Oaxaca International, and am very happy with my experience here. I have studied in 3 different places - and this place holds up really well. My home stay was great as was the instruction. This school comfortably and professionally handles students of all ages, and Ileana is always ready to do whatever she can to help make your stay the best possible. I am at an intermediate/advanced level, and feel that I learned a lot during my time here. The learning atmosphere is relaxed, professional and enjoyable.

1  Thank JimCalgary4
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had a great time practicing and improving my Spanish at Oaxaca International! When I came, I was at an intermediate level of Spanish but really needed to practice speaking. I have been studying by my self for over a year and found that this was exactly the kind of experience I needed to give me that edge when speaking with native Spanish speakers. For those just beginning, I really can't give you much of a review of their curriculum but if you have a solid background in Spanish grammar, spending a few weeks here is a great way to improve your fluency. I took 4 hours of lessons a day which were mostly conversational, 2 hours with one teacher and 2 hours with another. When I arrived at the Oaxaca airport, Ileana the owner was there waiting for me with a sign with my name on it. They drove me to the home that I stayed at in the center of the city about 6 blocks from the school. I recommend a homestay if you really want to improve your Spanish. I stayed with Maria who was fantastic! We would talked for a couple hours a day. Her cooking was fantastic! The city of Oaxaca is awesome and I felt safe there the entire 18 days I was there. Ileana's teachers, Juan and Karen were really wonderful to have class with. Would I go back? Hell yes! If anybody is serious about Spanish, I would recommend you study here. I would however recommend that you study a lot before coming and meet with a tutor at least 3 months before coming to get some practice ahead of time. I found a tutor online and the 3 months I met with her allowed me to communicate much more effectively while I stayed in Oaxaca. I would also recommend listening to the radio in Spanish, watch telenovelas or other Spanish tv shows, and try to read some books before coming. Learning another language is hard work but it gets really fun once you get to the intermediate level. For me, to get to the next level, I now need to focus on the subjunctive and the conditional tenses to really be able to express what I want to say in the Spanish language.

8  Thank Justjoshinyah