All reviews wedding planning beautiful hotel green juice standard room frijoles great amenities few blocks the air conditioning main sights common areas complimentary breakfast rooms are comfortable nice room natural light easy walking distance small hotel oaxaca city
Selected filters
Reviewed May 5, 2019

We left town for short excursion to Puerto and its beaches. On early morning ride to airport, my daughter realized she had left her rings in her hotel room bathroom, so we called the hotel to let them know. When we returned to pick up the rings, we were told they never found them. It was obvious though from their response they were being dishonest: either the receptionist we called never relayed the message to the cleaners or the cleaners took or threw away the rings (which were not made of precious metals and only held sentimental value). Our daughter was heartbroken and this misstep on the hotel's part unfortunately dampened our otherwise wonderful experience in Oaxaca.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2019

I just got back from spending two night at Hotel Azul and found it a very pleasant stay overall and would definitely recommend it to others. The hotel is near all of the historical sites in Oaxaca City, especially the gorgeous Templo de Santo Domingo which is only a few blocks away. The room itself that I had was on the main floor and was of adequate size--not too large but not tiny either. Not much natural light without opening up a window that faced out on the main patio/courtyard so I generally kept it closed. The bed was comfortable, and the towels were of decent quality--which is all very important. Equally importantly, the room was very clean which is a "must". The toiletries were okay, but the shampoo and conditioner and body gel were all made in China--which I did not like. The hotel has a strong "traditional Mexican" vibe--why not pick a brand of toiletries made in Mexico then instead of some cheap stuff made in China?? Also, be aware that the water pressure in the shower is pretty weak, although there was no problem getting enough hot water, thankfully--just a very weak stream of water. Lastly, as far as the room goes, the air conditioning was excellent--which is also very important as Oaxaca City can get pretty hot in my opinion. I really liked the complimentary breakfast which is a la carte and served in their cute inner courtyard--the waiter was very polite and pleasant. The main reason why I don't give this hotel "five stars" here is because they list themselves as a "VIP Members" hotel on Expedia and Orbitz. However, they don't really provide any type of special service which is the main reason I originally selected this hotel--they just gave out 2 coupons for 10% off food. That's not what I consider anything special and therefore I don't think as a Platinum member of Orbitz that Hotel Azul should be listed as a "VIP Members" hotel. Most hotels in that listing provide room upgrades which this hotel did not. So, all things considered, this is a very decent hotel and I would be happy to recommend it. Is it perfect? No--with a few improvements though it could very nearly be.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2019 via mobile

Highly recommended, very friendly. Ask for Laura Santiago at front desk, she will help you any questions, all employees were above average. Will book again on next trip to Oaxaca. Great location for any activity

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2019 via mobile

I recently stayed at hotel azul in Oaxaca city! It is incredible the service is amazing the design is impeccable. The two rooms I stayed in the Toledo suite and the yellow room are amazing and well appointed with great attention to detail. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed January 10, 2019 via mobile

Fun Small Hotel, helpful staff, breakfast included was great, had a large library computer for internet, Wi-Fi was spotty in my room. Fun nice rooftop patio where you can have drinks, nice central courtyard. Very convenient in town, quiet considering location.

Date of stay: January 2019