“Delightful gourmet Mexican cuisine”
Review of Azul

Azul
Ranked #125 of 543 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: With the Slow Food concept, our Executive Chef has acomplished a perfect balance between flavors, tradition and support of the local economy. The menu convines traditional Oaxaca recipes, with inovative recipes that uses local ingredients creating surprises for the palate. And to accompany some of the dishes without a doubt we recomend to taste the exclusive mezcal that has been elaborated by artisans for Azul de Oaxaca.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This became our favourite restaurant for dinner and we kept going back. Food is excellently prepared, interesting, and a good Mexican-International fusion. Breakfast was OK but nothing special.

1  Thank Carol M

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Enjoyable lunch in this restaurant. Love the Roasted Tomato Soup so tasty and creamy! Food was
beautifully presented.

1  Thank Alejandra G
Hotel Azul d, Gerente at Azul, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comment. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us and your comments have been past on to our staff.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to Oaxaca and the Restaurant Cocina Azul.

Best regards

Reviewed March 24, 2012

There is great food in Oaxaca, but not here. Over cooked, over priced, and badly served. The worst and most expensive meal we've had in this wonderful city. Don't even think of eating here.

2  Thank webaccount
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband, daughter and I took a private cooking class with chef Jose Luis Diaz, which was the highlight of our 3 week trip. He first asked us what our goals were (learn about different chiles), took us to the market to shop for for menus that he designed to show us the variety of ways to prepare chiles. Back in his pristine kitchen, we made 5 salsas, two moles, tortillas, black bean soup, a cheese appetizer, chicken, the horchata drink, and Mexican hot chocolate. We stopped at various times to eat! We took notes, and now have the confidence to do these menus at home - he demystified it for us. I can't get enough of his Mole Coloradito recipe and neither can my friends.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

I returned to Oaxaca with a visit to Azul high on my list of things to do here. I had been to Chef Jose Luis Diaz's last restaurant, El Teatro Culinario, and had thought about that dinner for a year. I was not disappointed. Although he is in a new location the concept and quality are the same. Fresh Oaxacan ingredients put together in a unique style daily depending on what is available that day. I had the tasting menu in order to sample a variety of creations. I have a dietary restriction and this was taken into account. Each dish came with an explanation (in English or Spanish) of the ingredients. The combinations of flavors were extraordinary. I don't think I could have named one of the dishes as my favorite because they all had a unique essence to them and I savored ever bite. There was another couple in the restaurant the night I was there, they came to Oaxaca strictly to explore the cuisine in Oaxaca. This was their second visit to Azul in the short week that they had to explore the many wonderful restaurants. Like me, they couldn't get enough. I don't drink much but took the glass of mezcal that they suggested. It was perfect with the meal.
I will be back again before my trip here is over and dream about this restaurant until I return to Oaxaca next time.

1  Thank JEYA2008