“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amigos del Sol

Amigos del Sol
Ranked #15 of 110 things to do in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Amigos del Sol welcomes you to Oaxaca! we teach Spanish to travelers and people from all the world interested in learning more about the Spanish Language and Oaxaca. We will be very happy to have you with us!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Los Angeles, California
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Attending Amigos del Sol really enhanced my visit to Oaxaca. Not only did I really improve my conversational Spanish with my teacher, I made friends and got insights into the culture that only can come from connecting with locals. Rogelio deeply cares about student learning and enjoyment. Classes are small and intimate, and conversations can turn student interests. I was able to break from my very formal understanding of Spanish finally, and into the realm of talking comfortably, I also was able to get very specific instruction on points of grammar that troubled me, by asking for explanations in class. It was great!

Visited December 2012

Mountain View, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Instituto Amigos del Sol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I spent a week at Amigos del Sol in Oaxaca, and enjoyed my time there. I went with two friends who likewise enjoyed the experience. I would definitely go back to the Institute.

The director, Rogelio, is a really nice fellow. He and I had several pleasant email interchanges both before and after my stay in Oaxaca. He referred us to a really good cooking school. After my visit, I sent him a few comments about my experience and a couple of suggestions. Rogelio was very appreciative and responsive. He truly wants every student to have a wonderful experience.

His school is a ten minute drive from downtown Oaxaca. He and the teachers picked us up and dropped us off. When I first heard about this, I didn't like the idea. But in practice it was fun. It was a great way to interact with the other students and with Rogelio.

Hopefully we will go back soon!

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I'm back in US but thinking in Spanish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just finished a week of classes at Amigos del Sol, and I wish I could have stayed for more. I used to be relatively fluent in Spanish but that was over 30 years ago with few opportunities since then to speak. I had a class of three for three hours each day, excluding homework. I practiced every afternoon while strolling the streets of Oaxaca. I thought the teachers were great, and the community of students who were taking classes at different levels became close over a short period of time. Lots of choices for Spanish classes in Oaxaca, but I believe I made the right one.

Minneapolis
6 attraction reviews
“We went back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I were in Oaxaca last year and fell in love with the city and Amigos del Sol. We returned this February and everything was as great as we remembered. Rogelio was totally accommodating, encouraging and friendly. We had 2 new teachers; they were just as wonderful as the two we had last year. The classes are small and our fellow students delightful. We plan to go again next year!

Cuiaba, MT
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great school in a lovely city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I studied at Amigos del Sol for 5 or 6 weeks starting in the end of August/2012. It was an amazing experience, more than I expected. Rogelio, the director, is very friendly and kind since the first time you write to him and he is always ready to help you. I arrived talking almost nothing and my Spanish grew immensely during the course. I was the only student in my class except for 5 days and I think it helped to improve my skills. After I left the school I received compliments on my Spanish during my last days in México. The classes were great and I had a lot of fun and laughs with my teacher Esteban. I had a really good time at Amigos del Sol and highly recommend the school to anybody.

Visited October 2012