“Great soup if you can get it”
Review of La Pozoleria - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Pozoleria
Description: La Polozeria is a few blocks from the zocalo so it's in the center of Oaxaca. Its pozole is as good as any and this is a perfect place to become acquainted with this comfort food.
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We've gone to La Pozoleria many times, but succeeded in finding it open only once. The pozole on that occasion was excellent, and we vowed to return. Alas, when we did, it was closed (in spite of the sign on the door announcing that its hours of operation included that very moment). My advice: if you do decide to eat there, have a backup plan.

There are newer reviews for La Pozoleria

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Tried out this restaurant for their pozole. I enjoyed the vegetarian pozole and my husband had the rojo. We felt that although these versions were good, they did not come up to the quality offered by La Gran Torta, which should definitely be rated higher than La Pozoleria for quality and variety.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

My first experience with pozole was in the Aztec-chartered town of Chilapa Guerrero. I spent a weekend with locals, and Grandma (abuela) made the Pozole.

It is hard to match that experience.

I say “experience” because Pozole is a ritually significant pre-Hispanic dish, meant for special events (occasionally served with human meat by the Aztecs, per Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology!) It is a performance, not just food. Abuela used hominy, meat, and pork rinds. Then the best part was the tabletop ceremonious garnishing, using various goodies (onion, oregano, chile peppers, lime, etc.) I especially enjoy rubbing unground oregano between my hands and into the ceramic bowl.

Few pozole places operate in Oaxaca, so it was “any port in a storm.” The food was fine, but I missed the ritual of lacing it with extra ingredients---tabletop treats were scant. (Another reviewer also notices this.) Also, I prefer pozole as a filling stew, not a soup; while billed as a main dish, it was soup nevertheless.

Perhaps it is unfair to hold La Pozoleria --or any restaurant---to the “abuela” standard. (Especially since TripAdvisor ratings can make or break a restaurant now days.)Try La Pozoleria yourself. Post your opinion here, especially if you have experienced good Pozole elsewhere.

1  Thank Cross-Culture-Maven
Reviewed March 4, 2011

My family is originally from the state of Guanajuato. The pozole they serve here is pretty similar. It was pretty good. I like to be able to spice it up more, but you can't go wrong coming here. Simple atmosphere.

2  Thank TheNavs
Reviewed November 30, 2010

La Polozeria is a few blocks from the zocalo so it's in the center of Oaxaca. Its pozole is as good as any I've ever had and if you haven't had it, this is a perfect place to become acquainted with this comfort food. It's a meal in itself and very well priced. Buen provecho!

3  Thank henrap