“Not what I had hoped at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurante Maria Bonita - CLOSED

Restaurante Maria Bonita
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canada
“Not what I had hoped at all”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I'm afraid I was very disappointed with this meal - given we only had 5 days in Oaxaca, I felt afterwards we had wasted a meal to try the cuisine in this beautiful state at this restaurant unfortunately. I really wanted to like the place, as I like the decor - simple and clean - and the server, although not friendly, was efficient.

We had the stuffed zucchini flowers to start, which were fairly good. They are better with salsa though, as they are fairly dry. The two soups we had - the cream of zucchini flower and the veggie soup - were both disappointing. My cream soup was not hot, and was runny and lacking in flavour, and my husband's veggie soup was bitter.

The mains - I had the estofado con lengue (almond sauce with tongue) and my husband the tuna salad. I have to say, every salad we had had in Oaxaca up to this point was amazing, but this one was disappointing. No dressing at all on the salad, so no seasoning. The tongue was very tender, and the sauce was all right, but didn't make me want to take a picture to remember it.

All in all, I left feeling unsatisfied... not because my belly wasn't full, but because the food just wasn't as flavourful as I expected.

We had gone to Quince Letras earlier in the day (also Oaxaca food) and were blown away, so perhaps we had been spoiled.

• Visited March 2013

Northern California
“Best Dinner We Had In Oaxaca...We Ate There Twice!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Staying at the Oaxaca Ollin B and B right around the corner, made this a natural choice for us. We ate there the first night and the last night of our trip to Oaxaca. The salads were AMAZING! Artfully prepared with delicious ingredients and huge. We tried three different moles, and they were all so good that we couldn't decide which one we liked the most. I did order the aztec soup (sopa de tortilla), and although the broth was flavorful, it wasn't my favorite. But for dinner items, it can't be beat, in my opinion.

• Visited March 2013
Nobleboro, Maine
“Old style traditional Oaxacan food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

To start I had the creamy pumpkin and pumpkin flower soup. Soft, mellow favors with a delicious light cream. Followed by the chile rellano made with a traditional Oaxacan Pasilla pepper stuffed with Oaxacan cheese and refried beans prepared with avocado leaves and the entire dish was topped with an agave worm sauce which added a nutty, buttery flavor to the finish. Overall our best meal in the many years that we have come to Mexico. Top marks for the adventurous. Only wish we would have found this on our first night not our last.

• Visited February 2013
Millerton, New York
“Try the Mole Colorado!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Husband and I went to Maria Bonita for a late lunch. The beer was cold and considering it was 90 degrees out, much appreciated. We shared a tlayada topped with mole negro and Oaxacan cheese which was very good. The menu virtually sparkles with local specialty choices.....pumkpin blossom soup, moles and chupilines. So be adventuresome! I had a chili relleno stuffed with chicken which was just OK, but husband got a chicken breast with rice covered with the best mole colorado ever! I kept scooping the mole onto my chili, not a drop was left on the plate...we will be back for more mole, for sure. The bill was only $228 pesos which is about $19 US.

• Visited February 2013
Bellingham, WA
“Okay, but there are so many other GOOD restaurants”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This place was fine, but nothing special in a town that is abounding in fantastic restaurants, cheap to expensive, and even street food that is really tasty and a good value.

Visited January 2013