“Decent food; a bit overpriced”
Review of Restaurante Maria Bonita - CLOSED

Restaurante Maria Bonita
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Maria Bonita serves Oaxacan specialties, some of which seem a little odd for gringo tastes--chapulines (fried grasshoppers), mezcal worms, and various dishes topped with lard and the local string cheese. I had an excellent mole negro; my wife had chicken in a pumpkin sauce and wasn't especially enthusiastic about it. Maria Bonita's setting is, to be kind, minimalist, and our waiter acted like he could take us or leave us. Other diners while we were there were mostly Mexican--families, looked like. The prices here are a little higher than they should be: you can find similar meals off touristy Macedonia Alcala for half what Maria Bonita charges.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went here having recommendations on Trip: it's very plain (which is fine) but the food, considering you are in Oaxaca full of brilliant food, is uninspiring. My chile rellenos were swimming in deep fry fat. Nothing fresh, few vegetables on the menu. So many better places in Oaxaca. As for atmosphere, it's like eating in a brightly lit cafeteria.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and i went for a light meal. We ended up orderng the stuffed squash blossoms, azteca soup and the waiter suggested the mole amarillo con pollo. They were all the best we have had on our stay in Oaxaca. The waitstaff was attentive and very helpful and the service was not slow by any means. The drinks are limited but we had naranjada and it was simply delicious. I would recommend this to anyone wanting an authentic mexican meal.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Wine glasses were small and the wine was your 50 cents a glass variety. Food was good, place was very small but efficient. We all liked our meals. .

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I rate Maria Bonita as one of the best restaurants in Oaxaca right now. I've been to it in the past, it has changed, for the better. The food was authentic, gourmet, fantastic, served hot and fresh. The service was polite and efficient. Everything I had was great. I went back three more times. For breakfast, I tried fried eggs with a delicious red sauce. For dinner, the chicken with almond sauce (oh my, so good!). Then one of the chili dishes. Some Oaxacan cheese too. Finally, because everything was so good, I decided to take a chance on the worm sauce, a real authentic dish. It was fantastic! I cannot say enough positive things about Maria Bonita. I hope it always stays this way. I am into gourmet food and this place pleases me to the max. Love it.