“Like eating at grandma's (or abuela's in this case)”
Review of El Escapulario

El Escapulario
Ranked #9 of 539 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2014

As others have mentioned, this tiny restaurant is homey and like eating your abuela's. She's hired a young, professionally trained chef to help her out, but it's still a family affair.

I had what was a truly outstanding chile relleno with cheese and pecans in a sweet, yellow sauce of some kind. My husband had an ensalada festival, consisting of green and red bell peppers, cheese, lettuce and sesame seeds in a tasty, sour green dressing -- red, white and green, just like the Mexican flag.

We then shared the Oaxaqueño platter, enough for three hungry people. Three each of tacos huitlacoche (the only thing I didn't particularly care for), taquitos with chicken, enmoladas, quesadillas, two kinds of cheeses cut in cubes, carnitas, cecina pork, tasajo beef and, to top it all off, chapulines, straight up, no chile, no lime. Very tasty, very filling, very reasonably priced at 220 pesos.

Service was very good, concerned about our experience and opinion of the food, and grandma even asked for us to sign her book of comments. The only difficulty came when I discovered I was about 100 pesos short of the bill and had to ask if she would take some dollars. She did in the end accept them and, for that, I am grateful (even if the rate was terrible).

3  Thank stevebenner

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I ate here recently with a girlfriend on a tourist trip to Oaxaca. The place always looked very inviting from the outside as we frequently walked down the street and I'm so glad we went in. The service was outstanding. We had a little bell if we needed the waitress and once we couldn't decide what exactly was in a dish to she came and explained it to us. The best table is the one of the corner by the verandah. The other tables are not quite so well appointed - what could be done about that I'm not sure, but the staff were incredibly welcoming and the owner came personally to give me a tourist map and explain to me how to catch a bus to the village I was interested in getting to. Really warm people. The food, well, we shared the Oaxacan plate. It was absolutely delicious and one of the best things out of the many amazing things I ate in Oaxaca. we were a little put off by the description on the menu as it seemd rather meat-heavy, but once the waitress explained it to us we realised all our favourite things (grasshoppers, quesadillas, beans etc) were on it too. For two people who had initially decided that they weren't hungry the plate was totally demolished. I will definitely be returning to Oaxaca and definitely returning to this restaurant. They even have a very small book exchange on a a little bookshelf, and as a person who reads vast quantities on holiday I would like to suggest more was made of this, and an evaluation of how the non-balcony seats can be made just as appealing as the corner balcony, but this place is outstanding for both food and service.

1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed February 28, 2014

For dinner we went to El Escapulario. Trip Advisor had ranked it as #9 of 221 restaurants in Oaxaca. It was unquestionably the worst dinner we've eaten in Mexico in 4 months of living here. First the margaritas showed up - so sour that our friend couldn't drink it. So he ordered a vodka with Fresca. They brought the Fresca with no vodka and no ice. They did eventually bring some ice and vodka, but when he ordered another, we were told they were out of ice. He ordered the spaghetti Alfredo. What showed up was spaghetti smothered in butter with some cheese sprinkled over the top. I ordered the Mole Colorado. What showed up was a chunk of overcooked pork smothered in sauce. That was it. No rice, no beans, no veggies - and it wasn't like the menu was an a la carte style. Our other friend ordered the Mole Verde. What showed up was three pork ribs smothered in sauce. Hers at least had a few veggies on the side that were decent. However, the ribs had a total of maybe two tablespoons of meat. My husband ordered the hamburger - his favorite food. He said it was "the worst hamburger he's ever eaten". We thought maybe we had somehow stumbled into the wrong restaurant. This couldn't possibly be ranked #9 on Trip Advisor and be this bad. But at the end of the evening the proprietor asked us to post a review on Trip Advisor and indeed when we returned, I checked and this really was the right place. I don't know if maybe the cook was on vacation but our experience here was just awful.

1  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The View, the food, the cost, all of those things make This THE VERY BEST RESTUARANT in Oaxaca.
I have lived in Oaxaca since 2000. This is the only restuarant I return to most every time I´m in town. I live out on the highway to Mitla.

1  Thank JaguarSpeaks
Reviewed February 19, 2014

You have to look for this restaurant: it is up an irregular flight of stairs with little to advertise it. Once there, we were served by a charming lady who largely runs the kitchen herself, offering an amazingly complex menu of local dishes, almost all of which are close to splendid, for among the lowest prices in Oaxaca. We returned several times, enjoying the food and local color, and not least the views on to the surrounding neighborhood through the second-story windows.