“Incredible experience”
Review of Fundacion En Via

Fundacion En Via
Ranked #2 of 54 Tours in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: En Via is a non-profit microfinance organization working to fight poverty around Oaxaca, and to educate travelers about the power of microfinance by connecting them with local women either through visits to their towns, or through our volunteer program teaching free English classes to women and children. On the visits, travelers meet women who are applying for micro-loans to start or expand their small businesses, from making tortillas to weaving beautiful rugs, to selling flowers in the local market. Participants hear about the women's lives and projects, and what they plan to do with their loans. At the end of the day, the profits from the tours fund En Via's micro-loan and education programs.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The tour with Fundacion En Via is an opportunity to experience life in Oaxaca and the spirit of it's people. We had a comfortable ride in an air-conditioned van led by Kim and Samantha from En Via, and Vicky one of our hostesses from the town of Etla. There were Americans, French, and German visitors on our tour. Arriving in Etla at a home and organic farm, we were treated to one of the best meals I had in Oaxaca. Blue corn tortillas off the comal, plenty of fresh pico de gallo, avocados that were just like butter, and the best mole I have tasted - made with organic chocolate. Our hostesses gave us a tour of the organic farm; demonstrated how organic incredients were used to make soaps and palmades; and shared with us how to make organic chocolate. The journeys of our hostesses and how their businesses have helped them develop as leaders was inspiring. We all bought plenty of products for ourselves and friends- not because we were pressured in any way - but because of the quality of products. Our hostess Vicki and her family welcomed us warmly into their homes. It was wonderful to see and experience the success of women as a result of the modest investment by En Via. Please plan to visit - to support other opportunities for Oaxacan women

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"teotitlan del valle"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We really enjoyed meeting some of the microfinance borrowers. The ladies were all very pleasant and welcomed us into their shops and homes. The trip leaders were excellent and we saw some of the local sights as well. Highly recommended and the tour cost supports the different programs.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

While in Oaxaca we were able to go on En Via's Tour. I highly recommend this amazing opportunity to meet the women with whom they work and to really learn about their lives, businesses and communities. We visited 6 women in two towns who shared their stories and talked about their business plans. Their trip will give you a view into rural life that would be hard to get if not for En Via. Great lunch and totally delightful tour guides who are committed to En Via's work. The tour is a little pricey but well worth it and it is a contribution supporting the microfinance model that this group has developed. Don't miss it!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I don't need to repeat all the information about En Via's operations and mission, and all the good it appears to do, all of which is available on its website and in other reviews. I'll restrict myself to commenting on the tour. It was a small group or tourists, an En Via staff person, and two En Via volunteers. We got to see the towns and heard about histories, but most important got to hear the locals talk about their work and their lives. This is a very intimate way to learn about the crafts and enterprises of the Zapotec people. Very much worth the trip. (And I'll likely contribute something additional to the effort.)

See more reviews
Reviewed March 16, 2013

In the course of my month-long visit to Oaxaca, I volunteered with En Via and participated in one of their tours.

My volunteer placement was teaching children English in Teotilan. This was the absolute highlight of my stay. The children were lively, hilarious and great to teach. It also meant that I had a regular connection with a village and a group of locals, and through this, I was able to learn much more about the customs, traditions and way of life of Oaxacans.

The tour that I participated in combined a trip to Teotitlan and San Sebastián Abasolo. This helped me to learn more about the microfinancing program and about En Via itself. We were provided with a great commentary by our leader. All of our questions were answered very enthusiastically and readily also. Our lunch was fantastic, as was our wander through San Sebastian.

Highly recommended!