“The Best Experience in Oaxaca!”

Alma de mi Tierra Cooking School
Ranked #4 of 19 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Alma de Mi Tierra offers day cookery classes. Nora Valencia is a native of Oaxaca and passes on time honored recipes and techniques and some new ones of her own to her enthusiastic students.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The Best Experience in Oaxaca!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Nora's home was the perfect setting for a most exquisite educational & eating experience, the absolute best. We were positively enchanted!

From the visit to Mercado Merced to the learning of techniques & ingredients, to a wealth of historical and cultural information, Nora is a fabulous teacher. Her education, experience, and humor were all just wonderful!

Unconditional kudos to Alma de mi Tierra.

Hollywood, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun and Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Six of us siblings and in-laws took Nora's cooking class during our week in Oaxaca. We all loved it. The day started with a trip to a local market, an experience in itself. Then off to Nora's clean, beautiful home, colorfully and tastefully decorated. Nora had us all working on the food preparation, impressing us with her knowledge, skill and variety of ingredients. I can't believe I ate a flower (stuffed squash blossom...I actually had two because they were so delicious). The experience was loads of fun, the traditional Oaxacan menu delicious and the experience a highlight of our trip.

Visited March 2014
Acton, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Taking this class with Nora was just too much fun. Our class had almost ten people in it, each with a different cooking experience level, but Nora was able to keep everyone moving and learning together. Everyone got to participate, even though some of the more basic prep work had been done that morning or by one of her assistants. The market tour was actually educational, not just an oohing and aahing waste of a morning. Nora actually taught us a bit of Oaxacan history via her discussion of its agriculture and cuisine. I got the impression too that she really enjoyed leading the class and wasn't just speaking from a memorized script. She really listened to our questions and gave thoughtful answers.
Once in her beautiful kitchen, she kept everyone entertained and active as we prepared our delicious meal (hierbasanta consomme, salsa borracha, guacamole, marinated fish empanadas, chicken mole [not black mole, but a much more flavorful red mole], and mango mousse.) The meal was delicious and everyone got a printed copy of each recipe to take home, complete with equivalent ingredients of recipe components that might be hard to find in the US.
I would definitely take a class again!

1 Thank CarnivoreOnTheRun
Kingston, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experiencing a culture through its food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Nora Valencia is a truly wonderful guide into the intricacies of Oaxacan culture. She has deep roots in Oaxaca through the generations of cooks in her family, and through her extensive education in the best ways to transmit both her knowledge and her heritage. It's not only that she knows how to prepare traditional Oaxacan cooking, and also has the imagination to develop her own unique dishes, but she seems to have an extensive knowledge of the architectural and historical features of this area. Besides that, she is certainly an artist, and is herself a work of art!
There's one other thing I want to say, I guess. A couple of years ago I was on a so-called cooking tour run by a "celebrity", someone with a lot of glamour and a high profile. I was very disappointed, and really felt it was a fake! I learned nothing at all... it was all glamour and no depth of knowledge.

Denver, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nora's class-a perfect experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I can't wait to return to Oaxaca and take another cooking class with Nora (and next time I will also arrange to take a food tour of the surrounding villages with her). The class I did take -- a morning-afternoon class at her home was absolutely fantastic. I have taken cooking classes in many locations when I travel, and this was by far the best class I've ever taken. As others have said, we began with a shopping visit to the local food market, cooked/talked/laughed/learned a great deal while preparing an elaborate multi-course meal at her gorgeous home, and then enjoyed a wonderful meal in her dining room together. I appreciated so much about Nora's approach--aside from her great skill and personal warmth, I found her discussions of food history fascinating (e.g, she explained how corn came to be used in northern Italy). Plotting another trip now--so much more I want to learn from Nora!