“Nora is the real deal”

Alma de mi Tierra Cooking School
Ranked #4 of 20 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Alma de Mi Tierra offers day cookery classes. Nora Valencia is a native of Oaxaca and passes on time honored recipes and techniques and some new ones of her own to her enthusiastic students.
Emeryville, California
“Nora is the real deal”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A friend and I shared Nora's cooking class with a young couple and we all agreed that this was a great experience. I so enjoyed cooking in her stunning house and hearing about her mentor, her grandmother, whose influence permeated the mole preparation. We learned about local ingredients at the market and then proceeded to prepare 4 dishes in about 3 hours. I now feel I could make a delicious mole, and plan to have a mole-making party! Do go and cook with Nora.

1 Thank Judith456569

New York City, New York
“A Wonderful and Delicious Day!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I organized a private class with Nora for a group of bar/restaurant folks from NYC. She was able to customize the day in order to meet our schedule and took us to a chocolate factory and a market before we headed back to her lovely kitchen to get to work. We all had a chance to get hands-on experience and all the while Nora regaled us with stories, history, and information about the ingredients and techniques. She is passionate about Oaxacan cuisine and is a warm and welcoming cultural ambassador. I'd recommend this class to any food-lover visiting Oaxaca. Thank you, Nora!

New York City, New York
“good times!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Nora is fantastic! Her passion for the food and culture of Oaxaca is infectious. We started with a market tour, learning the ingredients and then went back to her home to make traditional dishes. We were a rowdy group of restaurant industry people and she handled us with style a grace. I highly recommend the experience and look forward to seeing Nora again!

1 Thank MrMezcalMan
DC
“Fabulous Class!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I had the pleasure of taking Nora's class in December and I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot. I especially loved the trip to the market where we learned about the different dried chiles and what each one is used for. I love visiting food markets when I travel and I've always seen all of the different varieties of chiles but never knew what the difference was between all of them. Nora had lots of stories about the different ingredients and was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the food and dishes. The class takes place in her home which is beautiful with a classic Mexican tiled kitchen. The class is very hands-on and she puts everyone to work chopping, stirring, blending, etc. The menu included a Pozole Verde which took all day to make - but was well worth it! Everything we made was excellent and we enjoyed a lovely lunch together afterwards.

Oaxaca is a foodie mecca and I would highly recommend Nora's cooking class.

Visited December 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Absolutely Fantastic”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

My father and I attended Nora's class yesterday and had a wonderful experience. I chose her course specifically because she visits the local market before cooking. She clearly has a close relationship with the community as all the vendors we're open and friendly with her and her customers. We learned so much about the local culture and history as well as useful and delicious cooking techniques. The meal we made was fantastic and we plan to make each of the recipes upon our return home. She hosts the classes out of her home where she has a beautiful and open kitchen. We would recommend her tour to anyone and if we return to Oaxaca, we will take her course again.

Visited December 2013