“Our favorite cooking class in Oaxaca”

Alma de mi Tierra Cooking School and Tours
Ranked #5 of 20 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Alma de Mi Tierra offers day cookery classes. Nora Valencia is a native of Oaxaca and passes on time-honored recipes and techniques and some new ones of her own to her enthusiastic students. Almost 20 years experience in instructing classes has led Nora to be filmed by the BBC, French TV, Japanese Special live broadcast as well as numerous chefs form the U.S. Nora is also a federally certified tour guide who enjoy leading her gastronomical and textile tours.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Of the three cooking classes my husband and I took in Oaxaca this winter, Nora's was by far our favorite. She teaches it in her own home, in her own well-equipped contemporary kitchen. This, by definition, limits the class size to 7 or 8, which means that everyone participates in the entire cooking experience. It also means that you can fairly easily figure out how to replicate the experience in your own kitchen. She was very amenable to creating a menu focused on dishes of interest to you. In our case, we wanted help with dishes we thought we would actually cook at home. We opted out of mole negro (too complex, with too many ingredients we cannot find in Virginia) and focused on chiles rellenos stuffed with a chicken picadillo and a really excellent dessert tamale. Finally, Nora is a native of Oaxaca, with deep roots in the community and culture. She brings this experience to bear on her teaching, which enriches the experience immeasurably.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The food we helped make under the skillful eye and practised hand of Nora Valencia was superb, the best we've eaten in this city. We started our day in the market, where Nora explained the many intricacies of Oaxacan ingredients, including a bewildering variety of dried peppers of varying flavours and intensity of heat. Then we repaired to her spacious kitchen where the six of us gathered around the stove and chopped, fried, stirred and assembled tamalitos de pina, mole estofado con pollo, consome de hierba santa, and cucuchitas (stuffed squash blossoms), with a glass of mescal for our efforts. Of course, Nora, kept close charge of the proceedings. The ensuing meal delighted everyone.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very good restaurants here, but the experience of seeing and participating in the making of a memorable meal adds a quality unmatched by other eating establishments.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have attended several highly acclaimed cooking schools in Oaxaca over the past few years and this is my favorite! Beginning with the market tour which demonstrates her incredible knowledge of not only the best ways to shop but also is filled with interesting information on the history of the food and culture in Oaxaca. Our small group made every dish together, rather than being assigned to only one part of the meal, and she prepared so well that I have no doubt I will be able to recreate this delicious meal when I am home. Nora is a delight and a serious student of the history and culture of Oaxaca. I recommend this experience completely! Worth every penny and the best food I have had in Oaxaca!

1  Thank VermontTravelerl1221
Reviewed January 25, 2013

if you plan to take a cooking class in Oaxaca, I can think of no better course. Nora Valencia is a native of Oaxaca and she takes her cooking very seriously. My wife and I have taken this course twice and attended, as guest dinners, another two times. Nora studied cooking with her grandmother and honed her culinary skills, for many years, at La Casa De Mis Recuerdos which is a top bed and breakfast in Oaxaca city. Nora speaks excellent English and provides those persons attending with written recipes of the dishes created. With some advance notice, she can customize the class and recipes per student requests. This class is highly recommended. It is a full day of cooking, fun and history that explores Oaxacan customs and tradition. By the way, we have come back to Oaxaca for the last five years straight since we like the hospitality so much.

1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I have been in Nora's classes three times. Nora is so entertaining and informative, plus a great cook, that it makes for a very fun and worthwhile day. If time allows, and she knows in advance, Nora can even teach some menu items per student request. If you want to learn moles, go with an authentic pro. Nora was born in Oaxaca and learned her culinary skills from her grandmother. She speaks fluent English and has great stories and tidbits of history.

2  Thank Steven S