Villa Maria
Hotel Casona Oaxaca(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
$47
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $62/night.

$142
$138
$193
$230
$129
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $146/night.

$185
  • Pool
$65
$63
$100
$134
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I have just returned from my third stay at Villa Maria and already I am missing it. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this very comfortable and easy apartment complex. there is a central courtyard filled with flowers and trees and birds and a very friendly dog named Ramses. There are two sun and light filled roof top terraces that became my favorite places each night to watch the sun set. Golden light turned into purples and reds and the outlines of the surrounding mountains soon twinkled with the lights of houses and street lamps.

My apartment was simply and comfortably furnished, with everything I needed to rest and cook. From the very first time I stayed there, Maria Garcia, the landlady, welcomed me with warmth and loads of information about the city. Her staff is lovely and very helpful. I felt completely safe and secure and greatly appreciated the care everyone took in maintaining the complex, and my living area.

Maria takes great pride and care in working with her tenants. Over the years, she has developed relationships with her guests, so much so that many have returned year after year for more than 5 years. Because of this, there is continuity and friendliness among the guests, and I have developed my own friendships with the people I have met at Villa Maria.

The locations is ideal - a 15 minute walk to anything you would want to see (even closer to the Zocolo) and far enough to not be in the midst of the hustle and bustle. I definitely consider Oaxaca my 2nd home, and my experience at Villa Maria is part of why I return again and again to this wonderful place. I cannot recommend it enough - the simplicity, the reasonable pricing, the people. I am already counting days to my next trip there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank sanfraxoquena
Reviewed December 11, 2010

My partner and I have been staying for extended periods at Willa Maria's for several years. When we first discovered VM, we were living in another apartment in the city. As soon as we saw the tranquil courtyard and roof garden, we felt at home, and moved as quickly as possible. Our first visit, we moved into one of the small apartments, but in subsequent stays we chose a larger apartment for more kitchen space. Like others who have been coming here for many years, we find the location excellent for shopping and touring. The english language library is a pleasant walk, as is the zocalo and several mercados. From nearby I can catch a bus to just about anywhere my heart desires.

We have no anxieties about walking in the neighborhood at night. We very much enjoy the small restaurants the locals frequent, in addition to the street food vendors. The neighborhood is quiet at night, except for the occasional fiesta. Much the same situation in any big city!

We like the comfort of the living quarters, which includes a living room and large bathroom, nicely equipped kitchen and pleasant bedrooms. The other renters are mostly pleasant people, who appreciate both fellowship and privacy. Past guests have established a small lending library right in the courtyard, and the rooftop garden is a jewel, in our eyes. One of us particularly likes the weekly cleaning service!

Maria is most accomodating of any requests we've ever had, is professional yet warm with us. We feel lucky to have found Villa Maria! Friends who have visited us in past years all marvel at our great home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed at Villa Maria for one month with our 3 and 5 year old kids. We discovered VM from the Moon guidebook. From our initial e-mail contact to our check-out, Maria was very professional and gracious. VM met all our family needs. We felt very welcome and safe. Loved being in an ordinary, working-class neighborhood rather than the more tourist-oriented areas near Macedonio Alcala -- which have very charming, lovely places, but just didn't fit our needs and preferences. VM staff were excellent. After taking a 10-day excursion to Puerto Escondido, our kids were so happy to be back at VM, which is a great sign of how homey the place is. We never had any problems and would definitely invite others intending to stay for an extended period to consider Villa Maria.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed for extended periods at Villa Maria in July and December of 2009. I rented a nice three bedroom apartment in July; however, if you wanted to make use of the other two, a fifty dollar fee was charged for each one. It is a quiet complex even though there are two bars on each end of the street. At night, it is very dark and I was warned by Oaxacans that I shouldn’t walk alone. Of course, in the daytime, with the constant traffic, it is quite safe. Two friends came to visit me and Maria charged us fifty dollars per night. I learned of Villa Maria from some of her regular visitors and when I spoke to Maria by telephone, she stated that since I was friends of her regulars, I was most welcome and quoted a reasonable price for the rental of a small apartment. Before I commit myself to a three or four week rental, I like to see what I am getting into so I rented elsewhere until I could see Villa Maria. I rang her bell and a very rude woman came out in blue night gown and when I stated that I would like to see the patio, she almost slammed the door in my face. Nevertheless, when planning my next visit, I spoke to her and sent my deposit and upon arriving there, I found that the small apartment was much too small and rented the three bedroom one on the second floor. I mentioned that she had almost slammed the door in my face and she stated, “I must have thought you were Mexican.” I am Hispanic and teach at a university in the United States. She is accustomed to renting to a loyal group of people mostly from Canada and from the United States.
Nevertheless, I rented for a month and when some friends, colleagues from my university visited, she asked if they could pay $50 dollars per night and I stated that they could. So, while they arrived, she charged them $200.00 dollars to stay with me in my apartment! When I visited in December, I decided to stay in the small apartment and learned from other tenants that when their friends or relatives visited, she would charge them fifty dollars for an additional bedroom—not a bad deal. When I mentioned this to her, she denied having charged my friends for each day they stayed with me. I wrote to my friends and they sent her a letter attesting to the fact that Maria had indeed charged an additional $200 dollars for an apartment which had already cost me $600 dollars. She was extremely annoyed and reluctantly refunded the money even though she stated that she had no recollection of having imposed such a fee. Also, when I was leaving the apartment, she came in and stated that it was customary to leave each employee twenty dollars to motivate them. If she has four employees, that amounts to an extra $80 dollars. She should pay them a decent salary herself! When I brought this up on my second visit, she admitted that she shouldn’t have done this—it literally amounted to extortion. Also, on my second visit, she had raised the amount of rent from $380.00 to $480.00 for the small apartment and she stated that she had been charging that sum for years. Well, thanks to GMAIL, I showed her my initial correspondence in which she had quoted $380.00.
At night, she turns off all of the lights and if you come in late, the courtyard is quite dangerous. It is really just a walk through because there is no place to sit. An 80 year old woman who has lived there for over 20 years, stumbled on one of the uneven paths and broke her arm. That same woman has created a nice roof-top garden which she shares with others. Otherwise, there would be no amenities other than a clothes line and a sink in which to wash.
Villa Maria is clean and secure and if you are white and are willing to go along with Maria’s quirks, no problem; however, beware of extortion. She makes use of the Internet for her business and still charges each apartment twenty dollars for the use of it—something which should be included in the rent.
Privacy is almost non-existent because one must walk in front of each apartment to get in or out of your rooms. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant place and if you are careful when you walk through the property so that you don’t fall, you shouldn’t experience too many difficulties. I don’t think that Maria realizes that the demographics of the United States are changing and that she will have to adapt to many more Hispanic and Black tourists who visit Oaxaca. I can still recommend Villa Maria, but with many reservations.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
10  Thank Andador
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My mother, brother,sister in low , my friend and I, went to visit Oaxaca in May 2009.
My friend and I live in the USA. And all my relatives in Monterrey N.L. Mexico. We were five people. I found Villa Maria apartments in the web and read the trip advicer revews.
It was the revews what make me decide to stay at Villa Maria's apartments. And thanks to the fact that we stayed there, our trip was incredible fun and we save a lot. We were six blocks away from the zocalo, 2 blocks away from internet access and bakery, 20 steps from a comnvinient store, 1/2 hour from Monte Alban (incredible arqueological site).
The apartament building is super clean, our apartment was in the first floor, 3 nice bedrooms and one bath, there was always hot water, the beds were very confortable, we had a nice kitchen which we use for breakfast mainly (big savings) the personal are sweet and super secure, the terrace has a very sweet view of the city. The place is very quiet and the best is Maria who will help you with any info you may need.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family