“Oaxaca for 2 dias”

Casa Angel Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Great place to unwind. Guys that work here are friendly, socialable, and dont rule with an iron fist, like some.

Amazing roof terrace to chill out on.

Rooms are good. Each bed has a reading lamp, so nice to lay n not wake everyone up with the room light.

Bathroom shower is only 0800-1000 and 2000-2200 but that isnt a huge deal.

Breakfast is brilliant, eggs made to order, bread, juice, cereal.

Id recommend anyone to stat here

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed only one night, actually I got there very late at night and went straight to bed. One thing I noticed was that there is only hot water from 8 to 10 in the morning and at night otherwise you have to request hot water. I thought o would have to fight for the shower but not at all and the restrooms and showers were very clean. They have two nice local ladies who make breakfast for you [Sausage omelette, cereal, orange juice, coffee]. The location seemed to be very safe and it is a short walk to the Zocalo, about 15 minutes. The price is fair and the staff was great and very helpful.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I love casa angel. The staff is truly wonderful and will do anything to make your stay better. The facilities are clean, safe, and in a wonderful part of Oaxaca. I had a blast with the other guests, and I will be back!

Room Tip: The rooms are small, but you'll have made friends and be spending most of your time in the terra...
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Location: Within walking distance of Central Oaxaca's attractions and a half a block from a local market. Cleanness: from the shared bathrooms, to the kitchen, to the common areas this place is kept clean all day long. Staff: The staff is well informed and helped me with everything from where to go eat, what to see, the name of a dentist to where to learn Spanish. I came for a few days and stayed for weeks.

Room Tip: I liked the four bed dorm the best, more room then the three and less crowded than the twelve bed on...
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This place ticked all the boxes (location, price, vibe) but it still just felt a bit off. It was great for what it was but it wasn't one of those hostels that you fall in love with and never want to leave. Two huge pluses here are that it was immaculately clean and the breakfast is quite nice. The ladies will cook you two eggs your way and serve them to you nice and hot. Rest of breakfast is passable bread, jam, margarine, bananas, juice and coffee. Given that its included in the price though, it's a real deal.

The rooftop terrace is really nice and great place to have a few drinks, enjoy their weekend BBQ or read a book during the peak of the day. This place does front a busy-ish street, so expect to hear cars, etc from any room on the front.

Staff were okay, with some better than others. Also weird is that the staff tend to dominate the one communal area for watching tv, making it a bit awkward to spend any time there. However, we met great people here so any shortfall with staff was up for by the rest. Again, I feel like I should be raving about this place but it just was missing something for me that I can't quite place. Definitely recommend though as its great value for the price.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for about 5 days, and absolutely loved it. The staff is helpful, it's easy to meet people, and breakfast is great! They cook you eggs to order...that's right. It can be found but is pretty rare in hostel land, so it was much appreciated. It's bright and cheerful inside, the dorms have reading lights, bathrooms are pretty clean and have hot water. They do only run it in two hour windows twice a day, but the signs say you can ask for it to be turned on. The rooftop terrace is really nice but they close it at 11 pm, which kind of sucks. They also write the guests names on the blackboard out front to welcome them if they know who's coming, which I thought was nice. There's two computers, good wifi, etc etc. It's somewhat of a walk to the Zocalo but staying here is worth it in my opinion. I'm not sure if there are hostels closer or not.

Their tours are pretty worth the money, but I suggest going to Monte Alban solo or booking transport only through the Zocalo, which is was like 50 pesos as opposed to 150 for the tour. But that depends on what you want. I did the tour to Hierve el Agua, which I definitely recommend seeing, but NO entrance fees are included so overall I spent over 400 pesos or so I think, because they take you to great buffet for lunch but you have to shell out like 120 pesos for that as well. It was worth it though because there's lots of moles you can try. The traffic is loud at night but I don't that can be avoided in Oaxaca so just bring your earplugs.

They will help you book transport to Puerto Escondido. It's 20 pesos more than if you go directly to the transport people, but I would tread lightly here, because I tried to be cute and do this, and the fact that I had a reservation never got communicated by who I spoke with, so they didn't come. Then I booked officially through the hostel for a later departure, the company was late, then tried to make me sit around forever waiting for the van fill up. I ended up just staying in Oaxaca an extra night. I think if you go directly to the landing of all the vans that shouldn't be a problem (which I ended up doing because that's where they tried to make me wait), I think I just had bad luck. The staff was very apologetic and told me they hadn't had a problem like that before. I was just meant to stay with my crew one more night :) Not to deter from using the Oaxaca to Puerto transport, it's safe and just fine, just be aware that they have communication issues. And in my opinion, if they're so worried about having full vans they shouldn't have so many departures-they even tried to make me wait the next morning after convincing me to leave at 8 AM! Oh, Mexico...

I know that's a bit of a tangent, but whatever saves some pesos, right?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank OmniaVinatAmor
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a terrific hostel - it has good wifi and computers for guests to use, cable TV, a comfortable lounge to hang out in, a roof terrace with bonfire and bbq on Sunday evenings, comfortable beds (with reading lights!), friendly and knowledgeable staff, and a good breakfast is included. It's also very very clean with nice hot showers. They sell beer but the roof terrace closes at 11 and after that people tend to either party in town or go to bed! There were a lot of loud annoying Australians there when I stayed, but that's not the hostel's fault (in fact, if you are a loud annoying Australian, it will be a plus). The hostel is about a 10-minute walk from the main square (the Zocalo), down a nice wide pedestrianised street. I would definitely recommend Casa Angel, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The 12-bed dorm is kind of hectic - spend a few more pesos to get a bed in a 3 or 4 bed room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo