“I would stay again as its pretty nice all things considered”

Casa Angel Youth Hostel
Ranked #1 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Melbourne
“I would stay again as its pretty nice all things considered”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

This place ticked all the boxes (location, price, vibe) but it still just felt a bit off. It was great for what it was but it wasn't one of those hostels that you fall in love with and never want to leave. Two huge pluses here are that it was immaculately clean and the breakfast is quite nice. The ladies will cook you two eggs your way and serve them to you nice and hot. Rest of breakfast is passable bread, jam, margarine, bananas, juice and coffee. Given that its included in the price though, it's a real deal.

The rooftop terrace is really nice and great place to have a few drinks, enjoy their weekend BBQ or read a book during the peak of the day. This place does front a busy-ish street, so expect to hear cars, etc from any room on the front.

Staff were okay, with some better than others. Also weird is that the staff tend to dominate the one communal area for watching tv, making it a bit awkward to spend any time there. However, we met great people here so any shortfall with staff was up for by the rest. Again, I feel like I should be raving about this place but it just was missing something for me that I can't quite place. Definitely recommend though as its great value for the price.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for about 5 days, and absolutely loved it. The staff is helpful, it's easy to meet people, and breakfast is great! They cook you eggs to order...that's right. It can be found but is pretty rare in hostel land, so it was much appreciated. It's bright and cheerful inside, the dorms have reading lights, bathrooms are pretty clean and have hot water. They do only run it in two hour windows twice a day, but the signs say you can ask for it to be turned on. The rooftop terrace is really nice but they close it at 11 pm, which kind of sucks. They also write the guests names on the blackboard out front to welcome them if they know who's coming, which I thought was nice. There's two computers, good wifi, etc etc. It's somewhat of a walk to the Zocalo but staying here is worth it in my opinion. I'm not sure if there are hostels closer or not.

Their tours are pretty worth the money, but I suggest going to Monte Alban solo or booking transport only through the Zocalo, which is was like 50 pesos as opposed to 150 for the tour. But that depends on what you want. I did the tour to Hierve el Agua, which I definitely recommend seeing, but NO entrance fees are included so overall I spent over 400 pesos or so I think, because they take you to great buffet for lunch but you have to shell out like 120 pesos for that as well. It was worth it though because there's lots of moles you can try. The traffic is loud at night but I don't that can be avoided in Oaxaca so just bring your earplugs.

They will help you book transport to Puerto Escondido. It's 20 pesos more than if you go directly to the transport people, but I would tread lightly here, because I tried to be cute and do this, and the fact that I had a reservation never got communicated by who I spoke with, so they didn't come. Then I booked officially through the hostel for a later departure, the company was late, then tried to make me sit around forever waiting for the van fill up. I ended up just staying in Oaxaca an extra night. I think if you go directly to the landing of all the vans that shouldn't be a problem (which I ended up doing because that's where they tried to make me wait), I think I just had bad luck. The staff was very apologetic and told me they hadn't had a problem like that before. I was just meant to stay with my crew one more night :) Not to deter from using the Oaxaca to Puerto transport, it's safe and just fine, just be aware that they have communication issues. And in my opinion, if they're so worried about having full vans they shouldn't have so many departures-they even tried to make me wait the next morning after convincing me to leave at 8 AM! Oh, Mexico...

I know that's a bit of a tangent, but whatever saves some pesos, right?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank OmniaVinatAmor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a terrific hostel - it has good wifi and computers for guests to use, cable TV, a comfortable lounge to hang out in, a roof terrace with bonfire and bbq on Sunday evenings, comfortable beds (with reading lights!), friendly and knowledgeable staff, and a good breakfast is included. It's also very very clean with nice hot showers. They sell beer but the roof terrace closes at 11 and after that people tend to either party in town or go to bed! There were a lot of loud annoying Australians there when I stayed, but that's not the hostel's fault (in fact, if you are a loud annoying Australian, it will be a plus). The hostel is about a 10-minute walk from the main square (the Zocalo), down a nice wide pedestrianised street. I would definitely recommend Casa Angel, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The 12-bed dorm is kind of hectic - spend a few more pesos to get a bed in a 3 or 4 bed room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed November 13, 2012

i went here end of october. it really was fantastic. the front desk was friendly and very helpful. breakfast was great, rooms clean and comfortable. it's central and you could get to places and markets easily by walking. they have a great roof terrace too. really recommend this place if you're passing through oaxaca. they also had available tours to all the must see places... it was all very well organised.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The staff are really friendly and helpful, the hostel is comfortable, safe and clean and there are two smiling ladies every morning to cook you a great breakfast. It's easy walking distance to many sights and the staff will tell you where you can get some great food. There's a lounge and a tv with a selection of movies, grab a beer or make yourself a hot chocolate. There's also a rooftop chill out spot to hang out.

We took the bus (van) from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido (if you can afford it, fly)' it's a looooong very windy road. Initially booked the van through CA but when we got to the bus station, the van (company= villa del mar) looked very unsafe so we cancelled and went with another company. CA organised to have our refund sent to us in Puerto Escondido - excellent service!!!!

Yes it can be a little noisey at times but that's only due to other travellers not being respectful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Awesome hostel so clean friendly staff great position and so cheap would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to travel to oaxaca. After staying in hostels in Australia it was so refreshing to come to casa angel and feel like we were getting looked after. The staff were always willing to help out and point you in the right direction for the most fun and cheapest activities. Again I recommend this hostel to anyone travelling through oaxaca

• Stayed September 2012
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hostel has really great areas for gathering on the first floor and the roof. As a result, I met some wonderful travelers who turned into wonderful friends. We continued to meet up throughout our travels through Mexico.

Added bonuses: The awards don't lie. This place is clean! And the free breakfast comes with eggs cooked to order.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo