See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Hotel Casa Arnel is in a quiet neighborhood of Oaxaca City, a 15-minute stroll northeast of the zocalo. For us being away from the bustle of the city center was a big plus. The building surrounds a lushly planted courtyard. One side is the family's home, the other three sides the hotel. The family and staff are very kind and accomodating, and if you miss your pets, the family's hairless dog, Rex, responds well to friendly overtures. Even the parrots who live in the courtyard by day are friendly.

The rooms are basic--no tv, no phone--but clean and comfortable and very reasonably priced. Breakfast at a communal table is available for an extra charge, cooked to order while you chat with the other guests. We had a room with a private bath, but there are rooms with shared baths also, at a lower rate naturally. There's a roof deck overlooking the colonial-era church across the street, and hammocks on a covered roof deck for relaxing.

They offer a variety of excursions, classes, etc. by arrangement with outside contractors. We booked a trip to Tule, Mitla, and other points east through them and had an excellent day with a driver fluent in English and a very comfortable van.

I got no response to emails I sent from home before we arrived in Oaxaca, and I don't think computers are a big part of the family's life, so if you want to make reservations don't count on using email to do it. I definitely intend to stay at Casa Arnel whenever I'm in Oaxaca in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CharlesP723
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. I had a single room with shared bathroom (but i never saw anyone else use the bathroom). Not a huge room by any means but comfortable. Lovely green courtyard that is very tranquil. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast (not included) options are very reasonably priced. It's about a 15 minute walk to the Zocalo but given how pretty the streets of Oaxaca are this was almost an added bonus, walking different ways to/from the hostel to discover new streets and colourful buildings.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank travla67
Reviewed October 3, 2011

During my teaching career I frequently brought college students to Oaxaca and we always greatly anticipated our stays at Casa Arnel. The comfort and tranquility of the courtyard and terraza are wonderful escapes from the active days in and around the city. Communal style breakfasts increase the opportunity to meet distant travelers and learn from some of their myriad experiences. The staff and family of Casa Arnel are totally attentive and responsive to the needs and concerns of the client. Even today, although I am no longer teaching, I bring my wife and young daughter for extended stays at Casa Arnel. The location of this hotel provides a comfortable and historic walk to the mercado central Benito Juarez and the Zocalo, center city.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the best!
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Timcito
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have been staying at Casa Arnel since 2001. The Cruz family has made a lot of improvements over the years. They are always friendly and helpful. The courtyard is charming and the rooms are nice. My Mexican grandchildren enjoy exploring the various outdoor spaces. It's nice being away from the center of town in a traditional neighborhood with cobbled streets. It's about a 15 minute walk to the zocolo.

I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank margotlind
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We arrived there during Samana Santos and were simply delighted with everything about the place. It was clean, inexpensive, and easy to find (a four block walk thru a good neighborhood from the TAPO station). The staff were great, and the owners of the hotel are in residence there. They were warm, friendly, helpful, pleasant and just great all around. Breakfast was great if you wanted to eat in, and the courtyard/garden on the interior was great. Oaxaca is a great soother of your soul anyway, and Casa Arnel punched all the right buttons for the "inner artist" in my wife. We met people from all over the world (lots of Europeans). Cannot recommend this place highly enough if you want good, clean affordable stay with a great ambiance.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple