All reviewsminute walkcommon areasrooms are smallrooftop terracebeautiful courtyardreception arealate at nightcageslaundrykilobarriowashingoasis
Reviewed October 3, 2011

During my teaching career I frequently brought college students to Oaxaca and we always greatly anticipated our stays at Casa Arnel. The comfort and tranquility of the courtyard and terraza are wonderful escapes from the active days in and around the city. Communal style breakfasts increase the opportunity to meet distant travelers and learn from some of their myriad experiences. The staff and family of Casa Arnel are totally attentive and responsive to the needs and concerns of the client. Even today, although I am no longer teaching, I bring my wife and young daughter for extended stays at Casa Arnel. The location of this hotel provides a comfortable and historic walk to the mercado central Benito Juarez and the Zocalo, center city.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the best!
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Timcito
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have been staying at Casa Arnel since 2001. The Cruz family has made a lot of improvements over the years. They are always friendly and helpful. The courtyard is charming and the rooms are nice. My Mexican grandchildren enjoy exploring the various outdoor spaces. It's nice being away from the center of town in a traditional neighborhood with cobbled streets. It's about a 15 minute walk to the zocolo.

I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank margotlind
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We arrived there during Samana Santos and were simply delighted with everything about the place. It was clean, inexpensive, and easy to find (a four block walk thru a good neighborhood from the TAPO station). The staff were great, and the owners of the hotel are in residence there. They were warm, friendly, helpful, pleasant and just great all around. Breakfast was great if you wanted to eat in, and the courtyard/garden on the interior was great. Oaxaca is a great soother of your soul anyway, and Casa Arnel punched all the right buttons for the "inner artist" in my wife. We met people from all over the world (lots of Europeans). Cannot recommend this place highly enough if you want good, clean affordable stay with a great ambiance.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tanstaafl72555
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Happily stayed one week with our 3 year old son. Planning again this summer already with two children. What else can I add? Clean, helpful, family friendly place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I have been visiting Mexico since 1996 when I first stayed at Casa Arnel. I had been staying in a dog of a hostel when I met two wonderful caring travellers at a vegetarian restaurant and they invited me to visit Arnel's. I did, and I moved there, and have stayed there every time I've been to Oaxaca - 7 times now.
I love it. It's not really about the beds, toilets or cockroaches, although I have never experienced these traumas. It's about the intent to give travellers a different experience, one where they are not alone, but part of a group that is interested, helpful, inclusive...The location is perfect. It's a nice 5 minute walk to the park, past a couple of restaurants and the excellent taqueria. Around the park are useful shops, and the park itself is a delight, always something interesting going on. As an Australian, I go there to feel at home amongst the giant eucalyptus trees. Get the bus into town, or walk across to Santo Domingo and down from there.
Everything at Casa Arnel is great, from the parrots to the beautiful little meditation space/chapel to the laundry lines. I love it and would not stay anywhere else. It was the

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AnnyZucchini