All reviewsminute walkcommon areasrooms are smallrooftop terracebeautiful courtyardreception arealate at nightcageslaundrykilobarriowashingoasis
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We arrived there during Samana Santos and were simply delighted with everything about the place. It was clean, inexpensive, and easy to find (a four block walk thru a good neighborhood from the TAPO station). The staff were great, and the owners of the hotel are in residence there. They were warm, friendly, helpful, pleasant and just great all around. Breakfast was great if you wanted to eat in, and the courtyard/garden on the interior was great. Oaxaca is a great soother of your soul anyway, and Casa Arnel punched all the right buttons for the "inner artist" in my wife. We met people from all over the world (lots of Europeans). Cannot recommend this place highly enough if you want good, clean affordable stay with a great ambiance.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tanstaafl72555
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Happily stayed one week with our 3 year old son. Planning again this summer already with two children. What else can I add? Clean, helpful, family friendly place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I have been visiting Mexico since 1996 when I first stayed at Casa Arnel. I had been staying in a dog of a hostel when I met two wonderful caring travellers at a vegetarian restaurant and they invited me to visit Arnel's. I did, and I moved there, and have stayed there every time I've been to Oaxaca - 7 times now.
I love it. It's not really about the beds, toilets or cockroaches, although I have never experienced these traumas. It's about the intent to give travellers a different experience, one where they are not alone, but part of a group that is interested, helpful, inclusive...The location is perfect. It's a nice 5 minute walk to the park, past a couple of restaurants and the excellent taqueria. Around the park are useful shops, and the park itself is a delight, always something interesting going on. As an Australian, I go there to feel at home amongst the giant eucalyptus trees. Get the bus into town, or walk across to Santo Domingo and down from there.
Everything at Casa Arnel is great, from the parrots to the beautiful little meditation space/chapel to the laundry lines. I love it and would not stay anywhere else. It was the

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank AnnyZucchini
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We'd been going to Casa Arnel for years, but hadn't been for over 12 years. {Disclosure: we consider the Cruz family friends of ours.} We were pleased to see all the renovations.

We enjoyed our stay, and the renowned warmth of the family was not lacking. We also had some plumbing problems: stuffed up toilet, and care must be taken when t"aking your ease". (Enough said.)

The bed, although firm, was not "rock-hard" as we recalled from a visit in the mid-90s.
The shower worked fine, and hot water was more than sufficient for bathing. We saw no cockroaches, but we would take one or two in our stride, fas is a tropic area.

Breakfasts were very good (separate charge) especially the Granola Completas, of fresh fruit, granola and yogurt. The Huevos a la Oaxaqueño are a spicy treat.

The rates do not include bottled water, but it's available at the kitchen for a fair price.

Two Internet connected computers are in the reception area, available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for 10 pesos an hour.

One of the peculiar distinctions of the garden patio are the biblioteca of books to borrow or exchange; and the PLOP! of zapotes negros falling and splatting on the walkways.

As to the safety of walking in the area (Colonia Jalatlaco), it seemes safer than average to me; safer than the Zócalo or Mercado Benito Júarez area.

The Parque Júarez, (El Llano) is about 4 blocks away, accessible on reasonably lit streets, and El Llano itself is a daily and nightly place for families to come to walk, jog, and nibble some food treats. It feels utterly safe to me.

The new First Class Bus Station is now only about 4 or 5 blocks away. With one pack each and a smaller bag, we reached it in 5 -6 minutes from Casa Arnel.

To sum up, Casa Arnel is not for everyone. If you need pampering comforts, try elsewhere. If you like interacting with the hospitable family, and other travelers, then it's likely your kind of place.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Don C
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We had high hopes for this hotel. After using our usual method (choosing the hotels that appear in both mainstream guides, such as Frommer's, and discount ones, such as Let's Go) and having amazing success in Mexico City, we tried the same thing in Oaxaca. Gee, were we wrong. Although the courtyard of this hotel IS beautiful. It is not on the main drag. It is a rather long walk through an unlit area to get to the main square of town--it feels rather unsafe to walk out there. The toilet overflowed several times, and the beds were extremely uncomfortable. Although we had sprung for a room with private toilet (though not shower), we ended up using the hall toilet anyway given the problems with the toilet, which the staff seemed unconcerned about. I would recommend staying in the actual town of Oaxaca rather than out there. They also claimed it was a close walk to the bus station, but we regretted the decision to walk with luggage, as it wasn't really that close to the station either.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple