“What a Fabulous Experience”
Review of Casa Colonial

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Colonial
Ranked #5 of 130 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I just returned from spending 5 nights including New Year's Eve at this wonderful,warm,bohemian oasis in Oaxaca , Mexico. From meeting the other fun, fascinating guests to Jane's tradition of burning the "angry man" and enjoying the warm hospitality and margaritas provided by the staff, it was a vacation I will never forget and hope to repeat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We spent 3 weeks in this sensory oasis with its wide verandahs, folk art, aesthetically beautiful rooms, peaceful garden, vibrant colours, birds and a big spotty dog. The owner Jane was a great knowledgeable hostess and all the staff were friendly, helpful and exceptional. We were there for a an artist residency and the studio room and library were great. It is definitely somewhere we would return to. We stayed in two bedrooms, both in different ways clean and pleasant but the bedroom attached to studio is noisy and dark. We had some suppers in but mostly opted to eat out. Oaxaca is an easy safe walking city and there is much to explore.

Room Tip: # 5 is very good, stay on the inner courtyard
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 824sarah
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I attended the Day of the Dead program at the Casa. Jane was a fabulous hostess. Amado was the organizational expert. Nico was a valuable resource. The food was gerat and the ambience exceptional. We'll be back! Oaxaca is a friendly, safe town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick U
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I visited Casa Colonial for a Day of the Dead tour. The Casa, its director, and staff were amazing. The food was excellent, our room was spacious with high ceilings (they are all different!), the courtyard with its Pomelo tree and flowers was the perfect place to relax, the library had many interesting and useful books (and free Wi-Fi), the manager Amado Bolaños was helpful in answering all of our questions, and I liked the location of the casa near the Basilica de Nuestra Señora de La Soledad. The tour, led by Jane Robison (the proprietor of the Casa) and Nicolas García, was an amazing way to discover the region, its people, and history. I have only fond memories of my stay here and hope to return.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I traveled to Oaxaca, Mexico the first time in the early 1990’s, again in the late 1990’s both times with the Heard Museum in Phoexnix, AZ. For my third visit, I traveled with my good friend Trixie and we just completed our trip, 10/23/13 – 11/3/13, last week.

Each time I’ve stayed at the Casa Colonial and the reason for that is simple, it is a home away from home. The gardens are lovely; the sala has a library that rivals any collection of books anywhere that describes the history, the people, the celebrations and anything else you might be interested in learning about Oaxaca; the three meals each day are nutritious and delicious; the rooms are comfortable, cozy and clean.

The owner, Jane Robison, has managed to keep the same staff that has been there for years. Graciela and Ramona remembered me from my last trips and welcomed me with open arms. As the older members retire, she hires replacements that are just as friendly and competent. Gloria is as sweet and cheerful as can be. These ladies cook, serve and clean and are willing to do whatever it takes, within reason of course, to make sure your visit is a comfortable, informative and an enjoyable one.

Amado Bolaños is the site manager and Nicolas Garcia the tour guide and are native-born Oaxacanos. Both of these gentlemen are fluent in Spanish and English and again, competent and informed members of Jane’s staff whom are able to assist you in tailoring your visit for maximum enjoyment.

Jane has lived in Oaxaca for over twenty years. The rapport and friendships that she has established with the many artisans in the surrounding villages are something to behold and experience. Because of the friendships that she has established, we were entertained in private homes with private demonstrations of their respective crafts on each visit to their villages. Many of these artisans have their works displayed in the Smithsonian here in the United States. On another occasion we were invited to and served a delicious lunch much to the delight of all of us in attendance.

Many of the reviews of the Casa on this site have indicated that while the rooms are clean, the furniture is older and they are right, the Casa is just like home. If you’re looking for a five star hotel where you will be charges a lot of money to be waited on and your every need catered to, then the Casa is not the place for you.

However if you’re interested in having a genuine and authentic experience in this beautiful historic city where you can have an up close and personal view of the people and all that this beautiful city and the surrounding villages have to offer, then I could not encourage you more. You will want to stay at the Casa and be delighted that you did!

Room Tip: I've stayed in several during my trips at the Casa and enjoyed them all!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IFG2013
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Casa Colonial is a great home away from home in Oaxaca, a wonderful but sometimes taxing place that can put you on sensory overload. It's a great thing to close the Casa's purple door behind you, enter its lush garden, and enjoy the oasis it offers in the midst of this bustling city. During a recent Day of the Dead Tour led by owner Jane Robison--who simply couldn't do enough to make our trip fun, interesting and altogether worthwhile--a friend and I booked the Casa's small single rooms with private bathrooms. They were snug but comfortable and offered us welcome privacy during our 11 nights there. They also overlook the garden, often visited by hummingbirds, warblers, and many species of butterfly. (Take your binoculars!) Yes, there can be some noise at night from fireworks and barking dogs, but Oaxaca is simply a noisy place. I slept through most of it. When I couldn't, I reached for my earplugs. (For contrast, I spoke with someone on my flight home who said that staying at her hotel on the zocalo, or town square, during the Day of the Dead was like having a tuba player in her room.) In addition to the warm hospitality and efficiency of the staff, including the manager, Amado, who is fluent in English and responsive to all requests and questions, Casa Colonial offers breakfasts with plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, and muesli as well as a choice of Mexican or American entrees. Casa Colonial also has a long history in Oaxaca and can help you figure out how best to spend your time in the city and the surrounding crafts villages.

Room Tip: Our single rooms with private baths were just right for us. Double rooms off the courtyard are love...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Every aspect of our stay at Casa Colonial was superb. The daily breakfast was delicious and the proximity to the centro historico allowed for a leisurely walk home after dinner. The entire staff was extremely friendly and the charming owner, Jane, made us feel right at home. The rooms were clean, the bed comfortable and plenty of hot water. We will definitely be back !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple