“Casa Tranquil!”
Review of Casa Colonial

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Colonial
Ranked #5 of 126 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Casa Tranquil!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at Casa Colonial July 21 -28, 2012. The weekend I arrived and during the week I was there, Oaxaca was a buzz with nightly activites in connection with the annual Guelaguetza Dance Festival. The Casa is centrally located with a Supermarket and Bank to exchange currency right around the corner. I was travelling alone and found Oaxaca to be quite safe to walk the streets. The Casa is truly a place of tranquility. The rooms were cleaned daily and breakfast was served promptly at 8am with the ringing of the bell. There is a library with something for everyone and for the novel readers, there are books in English for your reading pleasure. For those of who must bring work with them or have to constantly check emails, there is free wi-fi. The Casa also had an ample supply of purified water for drinking and to brush your teeth. There is also a hot water cooler to make tea/coffee all hours of the day and night and also a fridge to store and keep your drinks cold.

Room Tip: My room was between the hot water cooler and the dining room. An excellent location to be able to s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Brenda M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I just came back from a one month stay at Casa Colonial. This was my 6th summer at the Casa and my 7th stay there.

I go back to the Casa every year for a number of reasons. First, the staff could not be sweeter. At this point, I feel like I am staying with my friends at my summer place versus a hotel. Second, there is something about the Casa that makes people bond. I've made some life long friends who I now plan my stay with year after year. Third, although the food in Oaxaca is great, I have a very sensitive stomach. The Casa's wonderful cook makes me three meals a day. No need for those Pepto Bismol tablets! Fourth, the Casa has always gone out of its way to help local artisans promote their work. The Casa is full of beautiful crafts. The management often has area artisans come by. It is a terrific way to get to know people to visit later in their homes. One year, I met two woodcarvers and we formed a friendship. Several months later I published a children's book using their work.

The Casa is a very special place. Can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms over by the tiendita seem quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the casa for 10 days recently and loved every minute of it. My room, the grounds, the cooking, the library, the other guests, the staff, the owner...from start to finish it was just exactly what I had imagined (and hoped) Oaxaca would be like. It is an oasis within the city. A serene place to come home to each day. My room was beautiful. The library is more of a folk art museum with an impressive array of wonderful books. And it is open for your use anytime of the day or night. There is no lack of things to do if you never left the place. Plus there was the perfect blend of sun and shade...wonderful mature gardens to enjoy, plenty of outdoor tables and chairs on cool patios. Incredibly clean and comfortable in every way. I would be happy staying here for months at a time.

Room Tip: If you like morning light, ask for a sunny room. As an artist, this place has lots of places to work...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Casa Colonial is a great place to stay, especially if you are traveling with kids. I stayed here recently with my 4 year old and 80+ year old aunt and had a great time. My daughter had a fun playing in the garden, feeding the fish, and sitting out on the veranda painting and drawing. There is a refrigerator you can keep drinks and snacks in which was very handy. Casa staff are very helpful and friendly. Amando was very helpful each day helping us plan our day and giving us a variety of options to choose from. Casa is very safe and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The hotel is not luxurious but it feels like your are staying in a home and that is why I gave this establishment such a high rating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Washington D.C.
Reviewed March 27, 2012

It’s possible that the name says it all – Casa Colonial -- a colonial home in Oaxaca that has been opening its doors to guests for more than forty years. In the best of ways, the Casa shows it age – some of the current employees have welcomed visitors for almost as many years as visitors have been knocking on the purple door. A few of the easy chairs in the comfy living room have been around almost that long. The spacious living room also doubles as a library where you can while away hours thumbing through an extensive collection. Carefully tended through the years, the garden has some stately old plants – one agave so big it makes you gasp.

As much as anything, the garden is the heart of the Casa. It’s cool on hot days. Always full of color. A haven for birds. It begs you to spend the afternoon lazing in a chaise lounge – if you can tear yourself away from the many pleasures of exploring Oaxaca and the surrounding valley towns.

The guest rooms are simple and comfortable with great beds. Some rooms display work of local artisans. There’s plenty of hot water.

Jane, the owner, and her able manager Amado are experts on all things Oaxacan – the entire state not just the city. They can fill you in on everything. If you want, they’ll advise you on what not to miss and how not to miss it. They know where the good food is, which cooking classes offer what advantages and which gallery openings are worth going to.

From eight to 10 a.m., Ramona, Graciela, Margarita and Soledad welcome you to a hearty breakfast. Their excellent, made-to-order margaritas aren’t to be missed.

The Casa isn’t for everyone and doesn’t try to be. It’s a 15-minute walk to the Zocalo or a short cab ride. Sometimes it’s noisy. Horns honk. Dogs bark. (Try ear plugs -- they worked for my friend.).

But if you like the personal touch, and terrific Mexican folk art is on your agenda, you’ll find the Casa really is home. It’s been that for me on several visits, some of long duration. I always look forward to going back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
chicago
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Unlike other reviewers I do not have an idealized description of what it is like to stay at this B&B. Yes, the building itself is lovely and easily prone to idealized descriptions. It's the kind of building most guests, including myself, would fantasize about owning themselves, though they probably would wish it to be on a quieter street, rather than at the corner of a street with a lot of traffic noise. The rooms are spacious but furnishings are tired looking. Towels are stiff and scratchy. A nearby house has a pack of dogs that howl very late at night for hours on end. I did not get a full night sleep on any of my 5 nights at this B&B. Some of the rooms have no windows that open and as a result smell moldy. The vegetation looks lush but unkempt, and the place as a whole though charming needs more upkeep and a spruce up. The owner is a loud, gregarious "bon vivant" type of a woman who can be brash and inappropriate with her words and manner and whose mood swings can easily switch to overbearing and tempestuous. The staff, on the other hand, could not be more lovely and hard working. I would not stay there again but I would consider myself lucky to have such dedicated staff should I ever own a lovely colonial home/B&B one day.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not line the busy avenue.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank cbeb9
Paris
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I would highly recommend this hostel. The owner and manager could not be more helpful. It has a charming garden in which one can sit, if one has the time!
It is 15 minutes quick walk from the centre but then again it is very near the taxi collectives to get to outlying villages.

Room Tip: I had a room with bathroom on the far left and it was perfect. I cannot wriote a better review than...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo