“Great location!!”

Hotel Marques del Valle
Ranked #68 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The rooms are nice, clean and the views of the main square wonderful. The staff could use some training. They were not very friendly even at our over joyous attempts to reach to them. Because of travel restrictions, I now often travel without shampoo and conditioner which most hotels offer BUT of the 5 nights we were there they only gave us shampoo on the first night and we had to request it every day after that. None of the hotels in Mexico have offered conditioner so far. I thought it was a bit pricey but perhaps it was the timing. I would stay here again but only if i could not find a better hotel. it would not be my first next choice. Our stay was overall good. The food at the hotel's restaurant was SUPERB!!! The pizza was unbelievable and the stake Tlayuda was out of this world!!! I would highly recommend the restaurant!!!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the square are a lot of fun as you get to see, from above, the happenings at t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alexanderofjesus

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many time for Day of the Dead and Christmas and it's the best location in Oaxaca. There is always something going on under our windows. We get the best seats in the city for multiple concerts and parades all day long. The desk staff are amazing. I left my camera charger at home and one of the desk staff called all over town until he found a shop with the same model charger. The staff goes out of their way to answer random questions about where the best sand paintings are, all of the cemetery schedules, and they even make phone calls for me to make sure the artists we are going to visit are home. I read some reviews about poor internet but we had great connectivity and speed on the 4th floor. Much better than in year's past.

Yes, it can be noisy and the beds are hard but the location and customer service more than make up for it. We will continue coming back here every year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank NCtravelz
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Old and used hotel in a great location, right at the corner of Zócalo (the main square). Since there is lot going on in Oaxaca, (dancing, singing, parades in costumes etc.) it might be a noisy stay but with a great view. However beware that half of the rooms are interior and have no view at all! Generally speaking I think the hotel is overpriced for what it is and it is rather 3 star than 4. Rooms have old tv, old furniture, old bathroom and some don’t even have a window to the outside.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a window to the outside! There are interior rooms with no view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank iliveinmexico
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel is in the Zócalo, just adjoining the cathedral. It exists since 60 years and has maintained the good quality of a traditional hotel: their web site says that “somos un hotel familial” and “our policy is to provide personal and traditional care to our guests” (www.marquesdelvalle.com.mx). It is true.

The hotel is in a 5 story building, facing the Zócalo on one side and the Alameda on another; it has a large and nice restaurant, and has its own travel agency. Anything needed by a tourist can be found within a few steps from the hotel. All major sights of the town are within 300 metres from the hotel. The staff is friendly and the management is helpful. They even offered to store my food and my medicaments in their refrigerator, if I had any. I didn't have, but anyway I was very pleased with this offer, and with the hotel in general.

There are two types of rooms: those with a window on the street (pleasant and with a view) and those facing a very tiny inner court (less attractive). Rooms are comfortable, the forniture is in solid wood, beds are large and comfy, coverlets have the coat-of-arms of the Marquis del Valle impressed, air conditioning works correctly, the bathroom has a very large space for the shower (as usual in Mexico) and there is even the plug in the wash-basin (astonishing), the TV has countless channels in Spanish, drinking water is provided free of charge, electrical sockets are of the american type (but the hotel provides an adaptor), and cleanness is perfect. There are safe boxes at the reception.

I arrived without reservation, I paid 850 Pesos for a twin room without breakfast (about 49 €), and I was given the possibility to choose the room I liked more.

The only problem with this hotel are the “fiestas” possibly taking place in the Zócalo. The windows are reasonably soundproof, but Mexican celebrations attain an incredible sound level, and the front rooms of the hotel are heavily affected. It happened when I was there, and I was immediately moved to a quieter room in the rear of the building.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel has location, location, location! It is on the Zocalo and EVERYONE tried so hard to please us! Great staff. Choose a room from 405 to 407; 305 to 307,etc. The views are towards the sunset and the church. Hence when you turn on the AC you drown out the Battle of the Bands. IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH to be the for Dias de los Muertes, there is no other hotel to experience the "scene" than here. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura E
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Not much to add about the location, it's the best. Right on the zocalo with access to all the downtown attractions just steps away. As to the criticisms I'd say they are relatively accurate, but none of that really mattered to us. it is authentic old world Mexico, thus...
It is noisy, but it's an old building so turn on the a/c for white noise or wear earplugs, especially during the major fiestas.
Rooms are drab, that's fair but not important, beds are firm but that's our preference, we slept great.
Internet is shaky but we weren't there to do business, it works if you are patient, you're not exactly on the info-superhighway in Oaxaca. At least they have it everywhere in the hotel.
Peddlers while you're eating on the patio, for sure, but if you're no good at sending them on then sit back from the railing, there are lots of tables and you don't give up any of the view.

Personal favorites for me were coffee on the patio in the morning while planning the day, it looks out on the zocalo, which is among the prettiest in Mexico. A room service bucket of ice for a evening beverage, delivered within minutes. Delicious breakfast served promptly, the fruit and mermeladas were a highlight.

One point, if you are there during the warmer season and need a/c not all rooms are so equipped so ask ahead.

We would certainly stay there again and we didn't find the pricing to be out of line relative to the experience but that is subject to everyone's individual standards.

Room Tip: as I said not all rooms have a/c. Also they have some rooms that are interior, no exposure to the z...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dryheat15
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The location cannot be beat if you go to enjoy the vibrant main town plaza (Zolaco). However, it is noisy and I found it uncomfortable that people would come up to the tables and beg when we were having breakfast on the terrace. Rooms are drab, the bed uncomfortable, and Internet was spotty and unreliable. I stayed there for business, and found it an inconvenience that my room did not have a proper desk, and working/writing in the restaurant was not really an option due to scarcity of electrical outlets for the laptop. Staff was friendly, but indifferent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business