“More than friendly staff! Quiet, clean, nice hotel.”
Review of Hotel Aitana

Hotel Aitana
Ranked #41 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed at the Aitana with our 14 month old baby and she was treated as the queen of the house! Rooms are clean and big, although may be dark if at the end of the patio. Beautiful terrace on the 2nd floor with amazing view on the city and surrounding mountains. Great breakfast buffet. Walking distance (max 10 min) from any attraction in the city (cathedral, zócalo, etc). Staff is amongst the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever seen. Hope we'll go back to Aitana one day.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Maybe I'm just picky, but from reading the reviews here I was very excited about my stay. What I didn't get from the reviews was that none of the rooms have windows. That was my first surprise. My 2nd surprise was that my room was at the foot of the stairs on the first floor and I heard every footstep and every voice and every time the phone rang. I tried sleeping with earplugs, but still heard a lot of noise. I would have normally asked to change to a room on the 2nd floor where I think it might have been quieter, but my first few interactions with the guys in the front office were very unpleasant. Even though I speak fluent Spanish, they were extremely unfriendly and unhelpful and made it clear that I was bothering them by asking them any questions that interrupted whatever they were involved in on their computer (perhaps they were in some chat room).

As for the breakfast, I've had much better. I still don't know if mine was included or not. I saw the woman who runs the breakfast having people sign checks, but she never gave me one. I'm checking out tomorrow - three nights early, losing what I paid, because I need a hotel where I can sleep. I'm headed to Puebla where I know a good hotel with a good breakfast and I know I will get my money's worth.

Finally, the wireless is not at all a guarantee. I tried accessing it from my room and it didn't work. The guy in the front office told me just to move my laptop to the dining area. Okay, so then don't advertise wireless in the rooms.

I'm in my room now and the wireless is working finally, but I can hear a family in the dining room playing some sort of card game where they are slapping on the table, screaming and laughing.

And finally, the location is not all it seems cracked up to be. It's an uphill walk from the zocalo, about 6-8 blocks. Santo Domingo is also more than just a few blocks away. The hotel is on a bus route and noisy buses lumber up the street all day long. I don't know that there are many other options in Oaxaca, which is a shame because it's such a lovely city, but given my experience at the Aitana, I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2011

My hotel reservations in Oaxaca got messed up (my own silly fault) but Mario, manager of the Aitana really came through for us. He shuffled things around and gave a great room. It was right before Christmas, the peak season, and he worked very hard to make our trip a success.

The place is great and the the staff is very welcoming. Thanks Mario!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2010

First the good parts. Location is a few blocks from Santo Domingo and a couple more to Zocalo, so you can walk to wherever. Rooms are clean and quiet -- amazingly quiet, given the bus traffic out front. The breakfasts (you should make sure they are included in the rate) were very good, and the servers were the sweetest women. Mario, who manned the front desk, was fluent in English and very helpful. The 2nd-floor terrace was delightful -- sitting out in the sun to read, have a glass of wine, chat with other patrons, etc.
Did I mention the firm bed? My homie said it was like sleeping on the floor, but I call it a hard mattress. We survived, but not without sore bones.
Wi-fi was reliable in the lobby (there are a couple of PCs available for guest use also) but very unreliable in the rooms (and we stayed in 3, so I know).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UpperValleyPark
Reviewed December 16, 2010

The fine staff providing superior attention, and the lovely tranquil oasis that is the Hotel Aitana Oax was an exceptional experience for me. Has it all, charming hacienda environs, wonderful typico restaurant, quaint flowery patio with a majestic view to capture the beauty of this city day and night, plus the quick downhill walk to the zocalo/cathedral--WOW this was a great find at more than reasonable price..

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2010

We had our flight cancelled, so we were not able to actually show up for the reservation at Hotel Aitana until the day after. They applied the credit to the new night without a problem.

Because of the day delay, my fiance and are were anxious to take a plane instead of a bus to Huatulco as originally planned. The hotel went as far as making last-minute flight arrangements for us over the phone with Aerotucan to go to Huatulco. They made sure we had everything we need for out stay with them and to get to the airport in the morning.

We were well taken care of and I would definitely stay here again. While not directly on the zocalo, Hotel Aitana is located near by. The hotel itself has a lot of character and the rooms are clean and good. Wi-fi was a plus! The only thing I noticed was that the beds were a bit hard, but I slept like a baby anyway.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Very nice hotel with a nice patio with a view all over Oaxaca! The covered courtyard was really nice for breakfast. The room spacious, although the water supply to the bathroom shower was a little temperamental. The staff could not do enough for us, even going out to buy our bus tickets for our onward journey to Palenque (with our money!) and offering to look after our bags after we had checked out but before we were due to leave the city. The location was great for strolls to the main zocalo and pretty much to anywhere in the city centre!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple