Hostal de la Noria
  • Breakfast included
$180
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Casa de Sierra Azul(Oaxaca)
$114
$70
Hotel Trebol(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
$33
$29
All reviewstextile museumno elevatorthe hotel staffcharming hotelstayed for two nightsthird flooran updatecentral courtyardcouple blockstwo blocksexcellent locationcolonial stylelaundry servicedelicious breakfastwould stay here againeach morningoaxaca city
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lovely colonial building in a great location close to the main square. Reception staff were very helpful and welcoming and service for drinks and lunch time snacks in the patio was great. No problems at all with noise if you ask for an room that does not have a window onto the street. Found the beds firm but very comfortable.

Wifi was quick, free and available in the rooms. There were no safe boxes in the rooms but individual safe boxes available at reception-.Be aware, though, that they are too small for an iPad or large camera.

Overall, a very pleasant stay only marred by the experience at breakfast on the final day. On the first two mornings there were other groups in the hotel and breakfast was a very acceptable buffet. On the third morning with only our small group there was no buffet and options were dictated to us - fruit or fruit juice but not both (and a request for yoghourt on the fruit was refused) and then cereal or eggs but not both. Cooked eggs were delivered before you had finished the fruit or juice and were cold by the time they were eaten. As another reviewer has commented a second cup of coffee or tea was brought grudgingly. To give the hotel its due only one surly waiter was to blame. The others on other mornings had been cheerful and obliging.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank chesterbuff
Reviewed January 24, 2013

What we liked about the hotel was:
Nice colonial building
Great location
What we did not like was:
Hard beds
Noise from inside and outside the hotel (wafer thin walls)
Poor service at breakfast

In conclusion, this should be a lovely quaint hotel but it is spoilt by the above. If you need a good nights sleep and friendly service then this is not the hotel for you. Otherwise, it is an acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terenceandwendy B
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 5/12/12 to 7/12/12 in a single king sized non smoking bedroom.

Pros:
- very close to the zocalo where there are numerous cafes, restaurants & other attractions (my tip is to visit the Church of Santo Domingo and the Museo de Los Culturas next door)
- room is quite large, with a separate section for hanging clothes, wash basin, toilet and standing shower. There is definitely plenty of room.
- iron and ironing board available on request and delivered promptly.
- two free small bottles of water (600 ml each) are provided each day. Free tea/coffee also provided.
- laundry costs 42 pesos for 1kg worth
- Housekeeping is prompt and thorough.
- there is a small pool and spa although I did not use either.
- There is a restaurant on site which I did not use, except for breakfast. There are plenty of nicer & cheaper establishments nearby.
- Staff always willing to help answer queries although their English may be a little shaky.

Cons:
- breakfast is an "American set breakfast" only and is quite limited. Tea, coffee, juice and water seems to be a scarce commodity and is doled out reluctantly and only when asked.
I asked for a glass of water to take some medication and this was added as an extra to my bill - since I'd already ordered coffee. This is technically not wrong but does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the place.
I am assuming that the water was from a bottle although I cannot be sure since it was given to me in 1 glass - I would be extremely annoyed had I been charged for tap water.
- I'd asked for flight reconfirmations on the first night of arrival for a flight 2 days after. This was a service advertised by the hotel.
Checked the status the day after and nothing had been done. To the guy's credit he did ring the airline straightaway to re-confirm for me but then gave me the phone so that I could speak to the airline Rep myself!!!!
- The TV does not work since reception is absolutely horrible. This is a little bit annoying but not a huge deal.
- My room has no view to speak off, the window faces the wall of another room, a bit prison-like really.
- There are no lifts and lots of stairs. This is not a problem if you don't have alot of luggage. I do understand this is due to the old "hacienda" style of the hotel.

In summary the location of this hotel is convenient but if you could get a similarly situated hotel then I'd recommend trying another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floor, less stairs to climb and the view is towards a lovely little courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank austraveller007
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm currently staying at this Hotel and I find it so charming. It's a couple blocks away from the center of the action here in this city but it feels very separate from the higher energy areas. When I first walked in I felt that old school charm feel - it feels like Grandma's house - very comforting. The service is absolutely amazing! And the rooms are kept very clean. The hotel's restaurant is fantastic -- their cucumber cilantro salad was amazing and I really loved the tamale Oaxaqueno con Mole. Uhhhhhggghhhhh so goooood....so authentic and delish! And I got to eat it in a open air dining area that sits in the center of the hotel as I watched the people on the streets pass by.

Right around the corner you have a bank to exchange dollars and many coffee houses. Very convenient.

Come - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Ellelove1
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I spent 3 nights at the Hostal de La Noria. The location is great, 2 blocks from the main square. The rooms are fairly basic, the bed hard, not very comfortable and pillows old. The towels are past their best. Breakfast was rapid with good service and I preferred the omelet to the scrambled eggs.

I stayed in room 205 with windows onto the busy road. There is no double glazing and the traffic noise is extremely loud but dies down around midnight. I think many of the hotels in Oaxaca may suffer from the same issue unless you can find one tucked away from a busy road.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank CELlondon
hostaldelanoria, Gerente at Hostal de la Noria, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2017

Dear friend
we all in HOSTAL DE LA NORIA thank you for the time you spend writing about our services
we all look forward to have happy clients - every person try to do their best in order to make you feel at home away from Home
we love the comments that you did regarding our Hotel & staff
we will be proud if you recommend our services to you friends
Oaxaca needs Tourism