“worst experience ever!!”

Casa de las Flores Hotel
Ranked #99 of 108 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I did my booking by calling to the hotel. They took my credit card & security number and I even got an email confirmation from my booking... and when I got to the hotel they said: "we have a problem with my booking".... that was that the guest that was supossed to leave my assigned room, didnt want to leave the room! and they couldnt ask him to leave... I was like: WHAT??? of course they can do it, but they did not want it!! how can you explain that? I had to find a hotel on that weekend, they did not pay anything, and they didnt even apologize!! Next day, on sunday, they called me to tell me that my room was ready, if I wanted to take it. I told them that I was out of Oaxaca but next day on monday, I will be checking out then my current hotel and check in to Casa de Las Flores by Monday late afternoon.... On my way to Oaxaca, I phoned the hotel just to make sure my room was ready and they told me: "Oh, we are sorry, since you didnt show up by 3 pm we gave it to another guest" I was about to kill them! I told them that they made me check out in the other hotel and I told me I was about to arrive late on monday... it was a nightmare... so they did it twice to me!! I can not tolerate this kind of poor service!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank maruchan_12
There are newer reviews for Casa de las Flores Hotel

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Hotel first confirmed the booking (through LateRooms.com) then then cancelled the booking arguing that they made surbooking. When I checked a few days later they still proposed rooms through other website.

How to trust them ?

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JP K
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This small hotel was boutiqish in size but more like a motel in design. It's conveniently located at the top of Allendre Street overlooking the beautiful city of Oaxaca. So, only those who enjoy walking up hills as I do should consider staying here. They serve breakfast but we did not try it. My only complaint is that the walls were so thin that the people next door woke us up early in the morning with just the sound of a telephone ringing.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank liliVirginia
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The room was gorgeous, beautifully decorated in very tasteful and relaxing colors. The shower was lined with polish granite or marble that reminded me of Europe. The bed was perfect for my personal comfort level. The staff helped us carry our luggage up the stairs and down again in the morning for an early flight. Crespo is one of the major arterial streets in Oaxaca and the street traffic goes until late at night and starts early in the morning -- buses and trucks included! Our room was on the street side so it was noisy and I didn't sleep well. I would go back if guaranteed I could stay in one of the rooms on the interior court. Be sure to ask for this or skip this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Oaxacaculture
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed 3 nights and didn't sleep for 2 because they had a bunch of drunk college students carousing all night. We complained but they had one poor guy on duty and he was afraid to do anything.
Hotel is modern minimalist but they need to work on basic comfort. Beds were hard and they still didn't have their breakfast service figured out. Skip this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank kmex
Reviewed December 24, 2009

The story is a bit long. I came to Oaxaca for Day of the Dead with my boyfriend, and we had called well over a month before to make a reservation, confirm, check and recheck. A week before we were supposed to stay there, I called to confirm yet again, and they said they did not have a reservation to our name, and sorry, figure it out. We ended up staying outside of the centre, at another hotel, which turned out to be very inconvenient.

Before that, at the beginning of October, my mother, made reservations through a travel agency to the same hotel, for 3 nights ending Christmas day. Once I found out the name of the hotel I prayed. And prayer was definitely not enough.

When we arrived, we were told that there was a water leak, and due to that we were going to be moved to a different hotel the next day. But perhaps not, it depended on the plumber. We went out, and coming back we asked whether they would change us or not. Nobody seemed to know what was going on. They said they'd call and confirm, but of course that didn't happen.
The next day, we assumed --wrongly--that we would not be moved. So we went out to enjoy Oaxaca and when we came back we were very surprised to find that the cleaning ladies, at no fault of their own, had packed our bags and were getting the room ready for new guests. Making small talk with them we were told that this has happened to other people, and in fact, another family was moved along with us. We helped the bellboy/night manager/plumber/handyman carry our bags to another hotel, Aitana Hotel, about 2 blocks away from the Casa de las Flores. This happened yesterday. Today the people from Casa de las Flores called our new hotel asking whether we would like to go back. No way!

The hotel itself is new, but considering that it was built as a hotel, it does have its shortcomings. The bathroom in our room (205) was not working properly. My mother has some mobility problems and it was not easy for her to get into the bathtub as there is nothing to hold on to. The water pooled outside the tub and it stayed there the whole night, as the plumbing apparently is a bit deficient. Our sink only had scalding hot water and my father discovered that we had to open the flow of cold water below the sink. The hotel did not have free internet access, but it did have parking, and our van is still there, since the new hotel does not have parking areas.

The beds were comfortable, the T.V. was big, but we had to move the table it was set on a tiny bit so we could plug it! Ditto for the lamp on the nightstand.
We did not try the food, but it was a bit pricey considering one can eat in Oaxaca for very cheap, even if one doesn't want to risk eating street food.

The location is good, within walking distance of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, and the noise from the street is very well covered by the thick windows (all rooms have a street view to a busy avenue). While the area is not very well lit, it did not feel unsafe.

To sum it up: for the same price, you can stay elsewhere, where they will keep your reservation, and give you good service. The hotel is nothing to write home about, and the service leaves a lot of room for improvement.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Moffin
Reviewed November 21, 2009

In a city brimming with charming, friendly small hotels with loads of atmosphere, this is a place with the soul of a motel. To give it credit, it has comfortable, modern rooms, with a bit more luxury than the little, folkloric hostelries provide (at a slightly higher price), and it is located in the colonial center of the city. But its rooms are without those local touches that make one feel like a part of such a special town, and the reception lacks any warmth or friendliness. I picked Casa de las Flores only because I was making reservations for the Day of the Dead weekend very late, and it appeared to be the only hotel with vacancies where I wouldn't have to spend a bundle. I found no information about it either on the internet or in guidebooks (apparently it opened in January, 2009), so I was hoping for the best. The hotel is a converted old house, located at the outer edge of the historic Center. It is at the top of a steep hill, on a rather dirty, run-down street, and on a corner that is very noisy with traffic passing in and out of the City. When I checked in, my room wasn't ready, despite the fact that I specifically requested in advance that I have a room I could check into by 10.30 in the morning. Worse, by far, I was required in advance to pay for my entire stay of 3 nights, although I'd already paid a one-night deposit. When I returned to the hotel in the evening, my bag had been brought to my room, but the door was standing wide open. Luckily, my possessions were intact. The beds were good, though, as was the shower, there was plenty of space, and the street noise didn't really intrude. The reception area is a bit sad, and there are very few English-speaking staff at reception. Breakfast is included in the rates, but it is provided in the aforementioned uninviting lobby, and there were so many more congenial spots in town that I chose to eat out. In short, I didn't have a miserable stay at Casa de las Flores. I didn't need to take a taxi after the evenings festivities, and I slept well. But I would have preferred a more modest, but warmer, prettier, friendlier accommodation, after traveling all the way to Oaxaca.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo