“Had a great dinner, great food and great mood”

Casa Oaxaca Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 513 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a great dinner. All the ingredients looked fresh and all the dishes were served perfeclty. The service was really good. What I liked best is an Almond Mole with Pork (Believe me Im mexican and I know mexican food) and the Almond Mole was really really good. Ye pork was really juicy and soft. We took dinner with a good mexican wine :) the check was a problem tough. It's kinda a expensive for the average prices in Oaxaca.

3  Thank Alejandro M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,404)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Despite the name (which means Oaxaca home), this restaurant is not about traditional home-style Oaxaca food, but rather about high-end cutting edge cuisine, which attempts to reinterpret Oaxacans traditions in a creative and modern way. The location is excellent, the ambiance is nice, the service is even too subservient and caring, the presentation of the food is very well thought and cared, and the price is in line with the restaurant segment (i.e., pricier than average local restaurants). The main problem is that the food itself is not so special. The octopus I had was great, but the mushroom risotto that went with it wasn't really convincing, and the dessert I had afterwards was just average. If I had more time to browse reviews and choose, I think I would have gone for a more traditional restaurant.

1  Thank sarcangeli
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have been in Oaxaca for a week and have eaten in many of the top restaurants here. I ate here last night and unfortunately left with a really bad taste in my mouth. The food was ok at best, the fish empanadas gluggy, the pork in mole verde under seasoned and bland. The chocolate mouse was tasty but looked like a dish out of an 80's hotel cookbook. This is NOT cutting edge. However it was the service which was the real problem - one waiter in particular - and unfortunately I was in his section. He was borderline rude throughout the evening and to top it off I ended up asking twice for my cheque, waited half an hour with no result, then sick of waiting I saw myself to the front counter to pay just wanting to get out! As an industry professional myself I think management really need to look at their service team - on several occasions I saw three or four standing around chatting (once about two meters away from me!) whilst I could see from my table at least half a dozen jobs that should be attended to on neighbouring tables. Casa Oaxaca was overrated and certainly under delivered!

2  Thank Adam J
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The emperor has no clothes. This place was mediocre at best. The staff hovered, the flavors were bland, and they substituted the "rare" artisanal items on the menu with more common ones, excusing themselves with the answer of "sorry, we're out of that." The terrace is nice, and I imagine it would be a lovely place for a drink, but this isn't a bar, it's a restaurant, and as a restaurant, I would say it's a cleaner version of what you can get in the market. I may be a San Francisco food snob, but i've eaten at the best around the world, and Casa Oaxaca IS-NOT one of them.

To be honest, I don't know where to send you in Oaxaca. Honestly, I think you're better off hiring a provate cook if you're here for any length of time, because all this town seems to have is good bars that have mediocre restaurants in them.

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my first time to Casa Oaxaca. The first visit was after a long flight. I went with a friend and we had passion fruit and ginger mezcal martini's. We shared a couple of appetizers - ceviche and squash blossoms so along with the table made salsa - it was a perfect first night. I returned a few days later for lunch - right at 2:00 p.m. I wanted to sit on the terrace which they said was full - and because I didn't have a reservation - I would need to wait. I agreed to wait - and after checking with the chef - they found an empty table. I was not pleased to go to the terrace to see only 3 other people seated at the terrace - with only one other guest that arrived during my leisurely lunch. Despite this annoyance, the food and service and the terrace view were outstanding. I would definitely recommend for all (maybe not for women dining alone!)

1  Thank toni827