“Over-Rated”

Casa Oaxaca Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 469 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fremantle, Australia
“Over-Rated”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The emperor has no clothes. This place was mediocre at best. The staff hovered, the flavors were bland, and they substituted the "rare" artisanal items on the menu with more common ones, excusing themselves with the answer of "sorry, we're out of that." The terrace is nice, and I imagine it would be a lovely place for a drink, but this isn't a bar, it's a restaurant, and as a restaurant, I would say it's a cleaner version of what you can get in the market. I may be a San Francisco food snob, but i've eaten at the best around the world, and Casa Oaxaca IS-NOT one of them.

To be honest, I don't know where to send you in Oaxaca. Honestly, I think you're better off hiring a provate cook if you're here for any length of time, because all this town seems to have is good bars that have mediocre restaurants in them.

1 Thank Mike B

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“great food”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my first time to Casa Oaxaca. The first visit was after a long flight. I went with a friend and we had passion fruit and ginger mezcal martini's. We shared a couple of appetizers - ceviche and squash blossoms so along with the table made salsa - it was a perfect first night. I returned a few days later for lunch - right at 2:00 p.m. I wanted to sit on the terrace which they said was full - and because I didn't have a reservation - I would need to wait. I agreed to wait - and after checking with the chef - they found an empty table. I was not pleased to go to the terrace to see only 3 other people seated at the terrace - with only one other guest that arrived during my leisurely lunch. Despite this annoyance, the food and service and the terrace view were outstanding. I would definitely recommend for all (maybe not for women dining alone!)

1 Thank toni827
San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
“Great”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a beautiful view to Santo Domingo's Cathedral, the food is delicious and the waiters very nice.
The tables need a little more light, but everything was great.

1 Thank Ninfa L
Mexico
“A Perfect Evening”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Based upon a recommendation on Trip Advisor I took my wife to Casa Oaxaca for her birthday (actually the day before). It happened to start raining on our way to the restaurant, so dining on the terrace was out
But, the rain did not hamper the Chef, his staff, or the waiters. We sampled the house mescal, which was excellent. That was followed by a Rib Eye for my wife and I had the Angus beef. Both could not have been better.

We would recommend this restaurant to anyone for any occasion. You cannot go wrong.

1 Thank MexicoKiteFlyer
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“one of my favorite restaurants ... anywhere”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

i just read through reviews of this place and was amazed to see any negative reviews, but when i read them it became clear they were written by Gringos who demand family sized portions and assume that a restaurant in Mexico has to be dirt cheap.

the overall experience of this restaurant is amazing. this place could easily be in NY or London from the quality of the food, but you wouldn't find the level of friendly service in those cities. and while it costs more than the taco stand down the street it is a steal for what you get, you would pay twice or three times as much for the same quality in any larger US city.

But at the end of the day the food and service is what makes a restaurant. and the food is amazing. Having walked through not just the tourist market stands next to the main square of Oaxaca but mostly the Central de Abastos which is the wholesale market of Oaxaca the food of Casa Oaxaca brought together all the flavors and fresh ingredients Oaxaca has to offer.
and talking about the service, I don't even know where to start. it was exceptional. on our third visit my girl friend was not feeling so good but we wanted to still have some dinner. She only ordered a soup but not only did the waiters have no problem with that they even made a suggestion for an off menu soup that would be better for her. and at the end of the dinner and a mezcal she actually felt better, with most waiters coming by and making sure everything was well.

we left feeling like we were leaving a really good friend's house, or actually we left feeling like at home. only after having had better food :-)

• Visited April 2013