“A great meal”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Brilliant! What did you like about it?A great selection of entradas anda very helpful bi-lingual staff.

2  Thank ed
Write a ReviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We took a group to Casa Oaxaca The Restaurant, and were disappointed by the inconsistency of the menu. They put us up on the roof, which is beautiful, but the light is so low none of us could read the menus. We were all pulling out our cell phones for light. It was a bit nippy up there as well. The food was good but not unusual or amazing as in past years. The place seemed full, and the staff seemed rushed. I was looking forward to our dinner there as the special place to eat, but actually, we all found it to be too pricey for what we had. Perhaps they need a new menu and more staff. I'll return on my next visit and see what is cooking.

1  Thank neelokb
Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are many fine restaurants serving good Oaxacan food. The simple ones cost about US$3 for a good meal, the more upscale ones about US$10. I wanted to try some top end gourmet ones that offer New style Mexican or fusion cooking and that is what I am reviewing. They all cost about US$20 unless noted. Service and ambiance is good at all the ones I tried.

4 stars: Casa Oaxaca. This is much more expensive than the others, about US$35. The food is very good but I overpriced. menu is mainly modern mexican with a couple of more offbeat choices. I had venison. It was great but although I am quite fluent in Spanish, I had to be very firm several times with the waiter who couldn’t believe that very rare did not mean medium or overcooked. In the end it was perfectly cooked and attractively served

5 stars: The best restaurant by far is Origen. It has an extremely varied menu and I went several times

Other 4 stars: I also went to Danzantes and, Catedral .These were all good and cost about $20 average. They each had one or two unusual dishes but menus were mainly Mexican standard but served more attractively often in new style.

2 stars: I also went to Café Bistrot Epicurio. Same price but pretty disappointing.

Several of these have one or 2 microbrewery beers but Origen has 8 to choose from.

I have written reviews of all these others.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The rooftop restaurant, overlooking the side of Santa Domingo, at night, was one of our better dining experiences in Oaxaca. We arrived about 10pm, and the staff was accommodating and cheerful. Initially they were not sure they could take us. But with a little friendly banter, and cajoling, as is often the case with Mexico, we were soon welcomed to a grand table on the edge of the roof. Table service and food was the best we experienced in Oaxaca. This is enjoyable and worth a visit.

1  Thank disappskier
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We're foodies, ex restaurant biz. we have a hard time finding good food and especially good service in Mexico ( where we live when not in Napa Valley). we had such great service and food on Valentines night that we went back a 2 nd night on our trip to Oaxaca. wonderful table side salsa preparation, server always around if needed, great flavors and presentation on all plates. only complaint is a rack of lamb dish i had the last night was too under cooked to eat ( and i love sushi/ carpaccio!). sent it back but still cold/blue... all other dishes were great.

2  Thank John M