“Quiet on a Thursday night, beautiful, pleased.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vieja Lira

Vieja Lira
Ranked #269 of 461 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Santa Barbara CA
“Quiet on a Thursday night, beautiful, pleased.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Not ravenous after a hefty lunch, found lovely choice of salads and soups (selected a tasty tomato based Pasta y Fagioli with aromatic sprigs of rosemary but no discernible pasta); one of us couldn't resist (or finish) the potato gnocchi with a bright green pesto sauce a tad light on pine nuts. Wide choice of wines by the glass and bottle. Bread basket had three choices. An attentive attractive staff. May return for a heartier dinner. Good value.

Visited January 2014

Saskatoon, Canada
“Terrific”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We shared a pizza and salad at this beautiful restaurant. The service was fantastic and the thin crust pizza was great. It was a nice change to get some real Italian food here.

• Visited December 2013
Austin, Texas, United States
“Italy in Oaxaca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Had great appetizer of Italian beans on tomato/olive oil drizzled bread....followed by wonderful thin crust pizza and wine......

• Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best pizza I've ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Vieja Lira a few weeks ago while in Oaxaca, and I'm still talking about the pizza. It was the thinnest crust I have ever seen, and it was absolutely delicious!!! If you need a break from traditional Mexican food for one night in Oaxaca, this is the place to go. Great atmosphere, wonderful selection of wines, delicious homemade hot sauce (for the bread and the pizza!) and the best pizza I have ever had. Living in Toronto, we have quite an ample array of Italian restaurants to choose from, but Vieja Lira takes the cake (or pie, in this case). I will definitely be returning for more pizza on our next trip to Oaxaca. In the meantime, I've asked my girlfriend to look up thin-crust pizza recipes to try our luck at it at home. I wish her good luck...that's a hard pizza to beat! And the toppings were incredibly fresh and delicious. We got ours with arugula and prosciutto, a great topping combination if you ask me: my girlfriend got her veggies, and I got my meat! A must for Italian food lovers in Oaxaca!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
“Real Italian food in Oaxaca! A must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended Vieja Lira by our hotel so in the rain of a Friday night having arrived from a flight from Mexico City (DF) we embarked on the search for the restaurant... It is now in fact at Reforma 502, there are two other addresses listed for the restaurant on Google!
The ambience here is very relaxed, friendly and although we went as a couple, it was ideal for families too. Service was attentive and
The food here is absolutely great!
They served us with home-made bread to start with, I particularly liked the salted bread and the grissini.
The pizzas are fresh, crispy and very tasty, we had the prosciutto and champignones and on our second visit the Calzone Farcito.
We also had pasta, cannelloni and fusilli with pesto, the flavours were wonderfully deep, clearly made freshly.
If only there was a place like this in DF...
We will definitely be back here on our next trip to Oaxaca, as you can see our first visit prompted a return two days later!

Visited September 2013

Been to Vieja Lira? Share your experiences!