“Lovely, friendly and immacculate”
Review of Posada Don Mario

Posada Don Mario
Ranked #16 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Posada Don Mario is a great place to stay in an ideal location. They were very kind to me when I had troubles. There is a pretty courtyard, spotless rooms, good breakfast- what more could you ask for? I was there in mid-June, a low tourist season, and so there were few guests, but it should be a popular spot when tourism is high. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AlisonVanD
There are newer reviews for Posada Don Mario

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Glad I landed here. The staff was very attentive to my every need, which was substantial-I arrived with a broken foot. All the wonderful women at the Posada went out of their way to see that I was comfortable and well fed. La Senora personally took me to get crutches! The breakfasts are great, the beds-comfortable and everything is freshly painted and well-kept. The location is one of the best in town, close but not too close. The Posada Don Mario is a great resource, they boast a degree in tourism and routinely help travelers make the next connection. They have courtesy high-speed internet and an old beat-up Michoacan guitar that I tuned up. Also a nice 'information center' with maps, a small library, there are snacks and drinks in the lobby and free water for guests. I had my first hot shower in three months.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank johnswift60
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This was a charming place with nice decor and a good vibe. The daughter of the owner was particularly nice. The owner herself was a bit prickly, but maybe she was just stressed out. The rooms are all created equal, as some I believe don't have proper windows. Ours was gorgeous though and the best room in the place, with a little balcony on the second floor. The roof had a good view but wasn't comfortable for hanging out - it was just where they did the laundry. A charming courtyard and a good location - far enough away from the zocolo to be quiet, but not too far. The owner was a little bit unreasonable in that she wouldn't give us two sets of keys, but then got annoyed when once of us needed to be let in in the afternoons. We didn't do every single thing together, as we were there for two weeks. If you can't give two keys, fine, but don't get annoyed when someone then comes to the gate at 6pm, when you're open anyway. The place was clean although the bathrooms could have been seen to more regularly, given the high traffic.They play loud music all morning and in the evenings that you can't escape from. Stuff like Enya and cheesey love songs from the 80s ("It must have been love, but it's oooooverrrr nooooowwww", etc). This can be nice but, as its inescapable, also sometimes annoying. I would stay there again though. Its a great deal for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that face the courtyard or the outside.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We would definitely stay here again if we return to Oaxaca! The owners and staff were great to us. It's a family atmosphere and the breakfast was good too... hey, there's even a guitar there in the courtyard for you to play!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Posada Don Mario is a quiet, comfortable, family-run guest house. I have stayed here several times over the years. If you are looking for something located in the historic center that is affordable and good value then I would recommend it. A pretty decent hot breakfast is included (I always chose the Mexican breakfast, not the continental). It's about 2.5 blocks from Santo Domingo, maybe 5 from the cathedral. It's clean. It has a nice sunny balcony and rooftop area where you can lounge. The staff is always very friendly and helpful with any kind of request. It is not a party hostel or even a hostel of any sort, it is a guesthouse. Most of the people I have seen there are couples or maybe a little older. I like it because I like to rest, read, get some work done in a peaceful quiet environment. I guess my only recommendation would be to ask for an extra blanket when you arrive since Oaxaca get's pretty chilly at night during certain months of the year.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank yoggity
Reviewed June 11, 2011

As I was about to post a review of my pleasant stay in Oaxaca, I noticed another...("like a cell").......I emphatically request that you remove it from your site...what sort of person writes a hit-piece about a $25 Mexican Posada?..
The inaccuracies contained in this venomous diatribe are reason enough to remove the review before it does fiscal damage to the victims of it, and discourages other visitors from visiting a very nice Posada.
I gladly take this opportunity to describe, accurately, the Posada Don Mario as I found it in June 2011.
In the 70's I would walk 5-10 K with my backpack just to save a buck, now I'll give that buck to a taxi driver, it's good for Mexico, and it's definately good for me. I consider the Posada Don Mario to be a well-spent $25. They don't pretend to be a suitcase hotel or the cheapest night's sleep in town, although the entirely satisfactory, (& complimentary) breakfast is a money saver and of equal importance perhaps, it brings the guests together in the morning for 'cultural exchange'. It is genuine comfort, care and service in a family-friendly environment. During my week there, two young backpacking couples with nursing babies' stayed with us, it was a delight, (they had been turned away from other places.) They are a family-owned-family-run Posada and La Senora and her daughter live there-it's their home. Posada Don Mario has a premium location, the perfect distance from the Zocalo, (quiet at night), a world-class view from the roof patio, good internet, fans, and everything is mopped everyday, usually by a Oaxacanera maid, returned from the US, where she lived for decades-she speaks fair English and is a good cook. The traditional, festive, Mexican pastel-palate is in full-play throughout, my room had coral and turquoise walls with purple acscents....muy alegre baby.!
It's highly educated staff includes a university degree in tourism. They are a class act and the only place in Oaxaca to respond to my email inquiries prior to my trip. Attentive to my every need, these smart, powerful, beautiful women run a very good business, and it's my new home in Oaxaca.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank johnswift60
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This hotel is a charming little posada within walking distance of the zocalo. Norma and her staff are friendly and helpful. The price is reasonable and includes breakfast. The rooms are basic but clean and it is quiet. A room on the third floor will give you a 360 degree view of Oaxaca. The dramatic skies and sunsets are free!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends