“Excellent service staff and location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Hotel Parador Santo Domingo de Guzman
Ranked #49 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Glover, Vermont
“Excellent service staff and location”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stay in the same suite every time we come. Guess what, it is 32, the same as the poor review. We love the view of the pool through an overhang of foliage. Our maid, the same one probably as the poor review, has become friends, helping us with our Spanish, and on occasion bringing us delicious meals and instructing us in authentic Mexican cuisine. The staff are anything but indifferent. Go figure, but being in business for 30 years dealing with the public ( dentist) I can say there are always a few clinkers amongst the clients. I'm so glad takora was not one of my patients!!!

Location is excellent, a few blocks from Santo Domingo, the Zocalo, the Llano, Soledad. Most of the staff have at least tourist English and excellent recommendations for restaurants, markets and sights. Most of the guests are repeat travelers who make this their winter destination. Each year there are improvements, this year new refrigerators and stoves. The kitchens are appointed adequately, any deficiencies can be remedied by asking or by a trip to one of the many markets and purchasing what you need for a few us$.
We have come back now for over seven years off and on, are treated like family, and whenever we come to Oaxaca, we stay at the Parador.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mziegler1485

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2014

It's too bad Takora didn't get to enjoy the many positive aspects of the Parador.The pleasant staff,the welcoming veteran guests,the marvelous location on a quiet street just two blocks from the pedestrian street leading to the lively town square,the many convenient reasonable and excellent restaurants within easy walking distance.Most of all the administration is handled by a component and engaging staff.All told the large number of repeat visitors attests to the high regard in which it is held.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stay at this place at your risk, but I would certainly NEVER go back here. We had initally booked 3 weeks - whenever we visit family in Oaxaca, we try to find somewhere comfortable, but economical. We used to stay in the Holiday Inn Express, which I would recommend without hesitation, but just found it too expensive for our budget on this occasion and decided to try somewhere different.

To start with, it is not that easy to book a room or communicate and get any kind of rapid or meaningful response from the hotel. The only person able to book rooms is the manager himself, so even if a receptionist answers the phone, they are (according to the manager himself) not able to understand the book where he notes down the room reservations, nor are they authorised to book a new client into a room. Despite this, it is not possible to contact the manager unless he is physically at the hotel itself and the staff suggest you send him an email and wait until he gets back to the hotel and sees it to get a response. (One would think, considering he likes to be in sole charge, he would at least have a smart phone!) Once you have finally received a response and confirmed dates, you need to pay a deposit by bank transfer to a Mexican bank account (if you don't have a Mexican bank account yourself and are sending the money from a foreign bank account, your bank will charge you). We were not given the option to pay the deposit by credit card.

So - from the start, quite inconvenient, unless of course you have a special relationship with the manager, in which case it may be that he is more flexible. It certainly seemed that the majority of his other clientele were US tourists (mostly around retirement age) who were repeat visitors and he treated them with kid gloves.
We found that our reception was far frostier - even though I certainly don't look Mexican, although my husband and son do, we couldn't help but feel that we were being treated differently (he positively leapt out of his seat to greet and help a returning American couple when they arrived and asked about them and their trip, but hardly said two words to us apart from giving us information about our suite), but we tried to ignore the feeling and be friendly towards him, despite our long trip.

From the outside the Parador looks very pleasant and, to be fair, you can tell that when it was first built, it was decorated with love. The suite is relatively spacious with a quaint kitchen / dining area and decent lounge. However, the sofa and armchair were old, torn, dirty (as well as having all sorts of rubbish under the seat cushions) and incredibly uncomfortable. The high sides were thick vertical planks of wood with no cushions provided to try and create some comfort. The wallpaper in the entire suite was old, stained or discoloured and was in desperate need of a new coat of paint. Our suite only had a television in the bedroom, which to us was fairly useless, as we prefer to watch TV in the sitting room once our son has gone to sleep. The bedroom had two double beds - a good sized space with a huge closet with ample space to hang clothes and put away items in drawers. However, again, the closet was absolutely filthy with clumps of dust on the floor of the hanging space and the drawers looked so dirty I cleaned them all myself before we used them. Several months before we arrived, at the time of booking, we informed the manager of my allergy to feathers and requested non-feather pillows. That first night, we all slept terribly. The thick wooden slatted beds and mattresses are so hard it feels like you are sleeping straight on a wooden floor and the pillows were so old and lifeless we couldn't find a way of using them to get any kind of support or comfort. In the morning, when I woke up sneezing, I realised I had collapsed exhausted onto a feather pillow! (I had to go and buy a box of tissues, because they weren't provided!) When I asked if they could change all the pillows because they were so uncomfortable (apart from being feather), the manager simply replied "No-one has ever complained about that before. I'll see." No apology and several uncomfortable nights later, no replacement pillows (the hotel only has one type apparently) and the three of us with stiff necks, exhausted from lack of sleep - even my 4 year old! It's horrible to see a little boy rubbing his neck all day saying "Mummy, my neck hurts. I can't sleep properly." My husband had to buy me a new pillow (no comment on this by the manager either.)

Back to the suite - the bathroom was OK, but we were only given two towels and had to ask for a third, a hand towel and a towel to stand on when you come out of the shower! There was nowhere to put soap, shampoo, etc inside or outside the shower, so we had to put everything on the grimy floor of the shower. See the photo of the shower floor and you will see what I mean. Everything needed a good scrub. The outside of the toilet itself was also dirty and I actually left it like that for 4 days to see if at some stage someone would actually clean it, since the hotel does state that it includes daily cleaning in the price of the rooms, but no. In the end, I gave up and cleaned it myself – see the photo where I remove the dirt with a tissue.
The kitchen was quite sweet and colonial looking with a nice, round wooden table and thick wooden chairs, but yet again – my husband cleaned the table top and was horrified at how black the cloth was from the filth on the table that was not visible to the eye and had obviously not been touched for goodness knows how long. There was a full sized fridge, microwave, coffee machine and hob and some plates and cutlery. Drinking water is provided. No sponge, no washing up liquid, cloth, something to grab the hot pans from the hob (typical Mexican pans are generally all metal), no coffee. Not the end of the world, but would be thoughtful and useful for guests and a very inexpensive addition to the rooms.

The wireless connection which is supposed to reach all areas, did not reach our sitting room through the thick walls. We could pick up a signal in one area of the bedroom, but not where we needed it – in the sitting room, which is where my husband needed to work. I would recommend to anyone needing a definite internet connection to bring an internet cable with them, because the hotel does not provide one and we had to get our own. The manager did suggest that my husband buy a wireless access point, configure it and install it to improve the signal – or he would give him access to the current access point to readjust it to get a better signal. (This was after my husband had finally convinced the manager there was a problem with the wireless configuration in general after explaining that he is a network engineer!) He most generously said he would take off the cost of the access point from our final bill! We borrowed an access point for our own room.

The pool looked nice, although the few pieces of furniture around the pool were pretty old and again, quite dirty-looking. I did see some people using the pool briefly but it was unheated and they didn’t stay in long. Probably, the pool would be very nice in summer as it is not in the shade after about 10am so the water should warm up by the afternoon. That said, I didn’t ever see anyone clean the water in the pool – only take leaves out once.

On the plus side, our room (32) right in front of the pool on the ground floor, didn’t get any street noise as we were the farthest away from the street in the complex of suites that is the hotel. However, the sounds from other guests occasionally having sneezing attacks and snorting in the shower were quite audible.

After 5 days staying in our uncomfortable, dirty suite, we decided to change hotels and started to look elsewhere. We mentioned the problem with the cleaning to the manager, but were met with a blank stare. We also told him we would be cutting our stay short because we were not enjoying our stay – indifference from the manager. He couldn’t have cared less. No apology, no attempt to improve our situation and change our minds, nothing!

Worst of all, on our 6th morning, a purse where I had 2 bank cards for emergency use (I only use at the airport in the UK and always keep them in the safe for the entire holiday) went missing from our safety deposit box (which could only be locked with a key because the electrics were not working to be able to use our own code to lock it.) There was no question that it had been there, but we spent the whole morning checking the entire suite just in case and going through every little pocket in every piece of luggage we had. We stopped the cards (fortunately they hadn’t been used) and reported this to the manager. Yet again – unbelievably – indifference. “Oh. Have you checked your room?” The cleaning lady offered to check our room and even go through our luggage while we went out to find a new hotel. When we got back, she confirmed that she hadn’t been able to find the purse. That evening, we were so keen to move out that we started packing. We opened the first suitcase and lo and behold, there was the purse, in one of the compartments that we had checked several times that morning. It was disconcerting to say the least. After we left the hotel, my husband also told me of a tower of coins he had left on a table in the sitting room just before we had gone to bed (our son was already sleeping) that had disappeared the following morning! At the time he had told himself he must have put it in a pocket or a wallet, but he never found the coins. On hearing that, I was very glad that I went with my instinct every night to lock the door between the bedroom and the sitting room.
Of course, we cannot prove any of this, so I will just leave this story here and you can make of it what you will. It scared the life out of me though, and the couldn’t-care-less attitude of the manager added salt to the wounds after what was already a horrible stay that ruined the start of long-awaited holiday.

If you need a suite and don’t mind being a bit further out, I would highly recommend considering Suites Regente. For only a slightly higher rate per night, the service and the quality of the rooms was not even comparable!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Takora
escocia1, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Parador Santo Domingo de Guzman, responded to this review, October 11, 2014
we are also sorry that Takora had an unfortunate experience, please be sure to consult the other 11 first class reviews to get an overall and well-balanced view of our services. thanks.
Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Really nice place to stay for a weekend, a week, or a month. Service is awesome and the place is a gift. We enjoyed our time there and we felt really "at home"; it is not difficult to relax and focus in your main interest. Really a very good option to consider.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ozymandiasvger
Toronto
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here for a week during Day of the Dead celebrations this year - and enjoyed our stay immensely. This was probably our sixth or seventh stay at the Parador over the last ten years, and we have enjoyed each one. The historic center of Oaxaca is now filled with boutique hotels, many of which are beautifully decorated, but that have very impractical rooms. We have stayed at a few where all the furniture was wrought iron--not good to sit on for more than a few minutes. At the Parador, on the other hand, the decoration is quite plain, but the suites are spacious. In the livingroon there is a sofa that can seat three, plus one or two comfortable chairs. The kitchen has a table seating four; bedrooms are large with two queen beds. The parador is on Macedonia Alcala, the pedestrian walkway, just a 10-15 minute walk from the zocalo; a terrific location close to the action, but not right in the middle of the noise. The staff is very friendly, especially if you make overtures to chat with them. And the parador is one of the few hotels in central Oaxaca with a pool. Granted, it's pretty small, but it's well-maintained and is nice to cool off in after a hot afternoon's outing to Monte Alban or a village. And the cost? Currently around $60/night, including taxes. It is a great bargain. We will definitely stay there again on our next visit to Oaxaca.

Room Tip: The building has three floors. If you don't have trouble climbing stairs, the top floor is proba...