“Traditional but excellent Oaxacan food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hosteria de Alcala

Hosteria de Alcala
Ranked #62 of 461 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
guatemala
“Traditional but excellent Oaxacan food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We always like the old standby, where chiles rellenos, enchiladas, chicken mole and other Oaxacan standards are invariably good. It feels much more expensive than it is. Attractive courtyard setting.

Visited April 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“one of our best meals in Oaxaca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

In Oaxaca, restaurants come and go so quickly. The fancy ones that were recommended were ho hum, but Alcala remains one of the best restaurants in Oaxaca. We ate here twice last week (March 2012) and had not only excellent meals both times, but really suburb serivce.... oh that waiters and service staff were still like this up in the cold north... but I digress.
The food is excellent (margaritas are excellent too, on the rocks with salt). I had the Coloradito, which is one of my favourite foods of all time, and it was, I think, the best one I've every had. I highly recommend it (and it was better than the one I had years ago at El Naranjo). On the second night we had the chapulines canasta appetizer and although you are apprehensive the first time you have chapulines, eventually you realize they are addictive... this is superbly flavoured.. I'm still thinking about it and have been craving this for 6 days... (that's why the review.. I'm obsessing about the chapulines canasta!
my partner and I had a lovely time both evenings, although I can't say much for the desserts... they were ho hum so we skipped them the second evening and bought hornitos from a street vendor on the way back to the hotel....a perfect evening :)

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Will_TO
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hosteria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Great Oaxacan food, quiet setting and great service; located right on the Alcala

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Dan20007
Comox, Canada
“Great ceasar salad.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Enjoyed our meal in this old colonial house. The salads were very good, especially gthe ceasar salad, prepared at your table in the traditional way.

Visited February 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A pretty place to take a break from the outside whirl”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Smack dab in thecentre of the walkers-only Alcala, this restaurant and bar in the ground floor of the hotel offers a very pleasant break from all that's going on outside. Tables are centered - but not clustered - around an elegant fountain; large pots of flowers and greenery add to the sense that one is dining on the patio of an elegant casa. The service is excellent - our waiter could not have been more helpful. The food, however, is average - one gets the sense that it's been modified to adapt to non-Mexican taste. Nevertheless, a good place to stop for a margarita and a light snack.

• Visited February 2012