“Great but not awesome”

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 469 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great but not awesome”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The food was quite good. The ambience, not so much. Service was pretty good but not outstanding. My wife liked the cocktail she ordered but it wasn't the best she had in Oaxaca. The portions are medium sized, presentation was quite decent. Nice choices though menu does not have that many pages. We thought it would be pricey but our total bill was quite reasonable in comparison.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank iGlow

San Francisco, California
“Very pricey and not worth it”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I came to Catedral Restaurant because it was listed as one of the best in Oaxaca. The place is beautiful, and the service was nice. I loved that they had a singer (who's was terrific). The food was, however, a true disappointment. The rice (they served about a half a cup), was warm, the refried beans (also extremely small serving) was "whatever," and the chicken (mole), was hard (rubbery).

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Migdalia R
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Best Sunday Buffet”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Sunday's buffet is a regular for us. The vegetable/salad bar is excellent and dessert selection good as well. Main courses are mixed, but there are always several offerings we like. Best to go on the early side (2-3 or 4). Regular dinner menu is very good also, with well-prepared tenderloin dishes and yummy appetizers; our favorite is the stuffed plantains. The crowd is largely local families which is nice.

• Visited May 2014
Miami, Florida
“An "OMG" Eating Experience”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was an "OMG" meal. The space is beautiful and the service was terrific, but the meal was an over the top "OMG how did the chef do this" experience. The small tamale appetizer was the best tamale I've had in my life -- EVER (and I'm something of a tamale connoisseur). My main course was a yellow molé with beef (I didn't know the yellow variety existed) that now ranks as one of my top five most memorable meals. My only regret is that it didn't get to eat there a second time (the night I went back was the one night they were closed). Thank you, Catedral, for making my Oaxaca trip a food paradise!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank QDC
Los Osos, California
“Oaxacan Food to Die For!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Catedral restaurant on Garcia Vigil in Oaxaca is outstanding! I wanted to try the best local Mezcal, Tobasiche, next best, Espadin, with chili salt and orange slices-- it was perfecto! Tierra Blanca beer, also local, was excellent, but the food was magnificent! I want to try all the dishes on the menu (printed in English and Spanish, a real help), so we'll be back.
I especially liked the Verdolaga, a green vegetable somewhat like sunflower sprouts in flavor, delicious with fried Oaxacan cheese, surrounded by fava beans and nopal slices in a basil sauce! Pasillo chili sauce came with the bread, and my friend devoured the whole bowl of tasty sauce. We tried the fresh cream and corn tamal--subtle and sweet; Jubileo, our waiter, gave us perfect service. Considering that we walked in to the gorgeous red painted restaurant after 10pm, without a reservation, tired and hungry and wanting that first taste of Oaxaca, we were very happy travelers.

• Visited June 2014