“Dined here twice”

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 507 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We dined here twice, very beautiful, romantic open-air patio with fountain in courtyard, walls painted deep red. First time my husband had shrimp tacos which were roasted and very tasty. I had brisket which was a bit grissly, but in a tasty sauce. The next time we dined here we sat at a table closer to the fountain. We had short ribs which were outstanding, very tender in a dark sauce, not a mole, but very good! Very nice ambiance and service was very good.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Everything was excellent , I suggest the black mole and the chocolate fantasy. The service was also excellent and the restaurant is beautiful

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This (along with Casa Oaxaca) was on the list of four restaurants I intended to try, and I ended up returning to the two just to try additional dishes. Of the two, I'll give Catedral a slight edge. Attractive and comfortable courtyard and attentive service, but the outstanding feature was the food. I came to Oaxaca in large part to sample the cuisine, and this was an amazing place to do it. Would I say one of best meals I've every had? No but close. Definitely among the best Mexican meals. Was actually here in February 2013, but that is no longer an option I can enter.

1  Thank mepw
Reviewed February 27, 2014

For our last meal in Oaxaca before returning home, we decided to try El Catedral with a group of friends. Everyone was very happy with their choices. My wife and I shared the Oaxaquena platter for two, a tasting platter of a variety of Oaxacan specialties. It was an excellent choice... tasted great!.. well presented, and reasonably priced for what we ordered, The service was excellent. In addition, the live music certainly added to the enjoyment of the evening. It is well worth a try.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were told this restaurant serves the most "elegant" of local food and were not disappointed. The location is most pleasant (we sat in the courtyard and loved it), the service could not have been nicer, and the food choices were just what we were looking for: not the obvious. My appetizer of choice was "grasshoppers with guacamole." I had seen the grasshoppers for sale at the market and, while a bit uncertain about trying them, thought "where better than here." So I did. Crispy, slightly spicy, not too much "taste" but so glad I took the opportunity to try a local specialty. A good wine list (with recommendations by the staff), live - but not intrusive - musicians, and a pleasant atmosphere. Prices were reasonable.