“Great meals”

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 528 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed 3 days in Oaxaca, I visited main restaurants based on web pages suggestions but the best one is Catedral. Besides the meals, they are really "customer focus" and the old house they have is just beatiful.
Traditional breakfast are wonderful and lunch is delicious ( try pork in mole verde) and the chocolate with chilli cake . One of the owners offered us some tamales ("cambray " I guess) they are not in the menu but were great. Definitely next time I visit Oaxaca I' ll be there

Write a ReviewReviews (1,203)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had an excellent meal at the Cathedral, restaurant, bar, attentive waiters, only disappointment was the ice creams which all tasted the same, slightly odd flavour to them. Love the way the roof opens, probably top,end - price wise of restaurants around Oaxaca.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stumbling in to Oaxaca on Easter Sunday, I was worried there wouldn't be a restaurant open. The first place we came to was Catedral, and it was so good we came back again before leaving the city. The pork ribs in mole verde are crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth, fall-off-the-bone wonderful on the underside. The zucchini greens soup was also delicious and filling (I had trouble eating my main dish after the soup because it was such a large bowl and came with arrachera on the side!) Would happily return!

1  Thank FullPassportTeach
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went for lunch recently, and I must say it surpassed my expectations. The service was great and very attentive, and the food was magnificent. It's a great place to eat traditional food with a twist. I recommend the pasta with grasshopper sauce and the pork.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are many fine restaurants serving good Oaxacan food. The simple ones cost about US$3 for a good meal, the more upscale ones about US$10. I wanted to try some top end gourmet ones that offer New style Mexican or fusion cooking and that is what I am reviewing. They all cost about US$20 unless noted. Service and ambiance is good at all the ones I tried.
4 stars: Catedral. I had pork with a chile pepper marmalade. it was very good and attractively served. most dishes are standard mexican served in the new style.
5 stars: The best one by far is Origen. It has an extremely varied menu and I went several times
Other 4 stars: I also went to Danzantes and Casa Oaxaca. These were all good and similar price except Casa Oaxaca which is about $35 average. They each had one or two unusual dishes but menus were mainly Mexican standard but served more attractively often in new style..
2 stars: I also went to Café Bistrot Epicurio. Same price but pretty disappointing.
Several of these have one or 2 microbrewery beers but Origen has 8 to choose from.
I have written reviews of all these others.