“Fantastic!”

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 491 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
United States
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stumbling in to Oaxaca on Easter Sunday, I was worried there wouldn't be a restaurant open. The first place we came to was Catedral, and it was so good we came back again before leaving the city. The pork ribs in mole verde are crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth, fall-off-the-bone wonderful on the underside. The zucchini greens soup was also delicious and filling (I had trouble eating my main dish after the soup because it was such a large bowl and came with arrachera on the side!) Would happily return!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank FullPassportTeach

Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food and service.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went for lunch recently, and I must say it surpassed my expectations. The service was great and very attentive, and the food was magnificent. It's a great place to eat traditional food with a twist. I recommend the pasta with grasshopper sauce and the pork.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver
“very good although not the best”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are many fine restaurants serving good Oaxacan food. The simple ones cost about US$3 for a good meal, the more upscale ones about US$10. I wanted to try some top end gourmet ones that offer New style Mexican or fusion cooking and that is what I am reviewing. They all cost about US$20 unless noted. Service and ambiance is good at all the ones I tried.
4 stars: Catedral. I had pork with a chile pepper marmalade. it was very good and attractively served. most dishes are standard mexican served in the new style.
5 stars: The best one by far is Origen. It has an extremely varied menu and I went several times
Other 4 stars: I also went to Danzantes and Casa Oaxaca. These were all good and similar price except Casa Oaxaca which is about $35 average. They each had one or two unusual dishes but menus were mainly Mexican standard but served more attractively often in new style..
2 stars: I also went to Café Bistrot Epicurio. Same price but pretty disappointing.
Several of these have one or 2 microbrewery beers but Origen has 8 to choose from.
I have written reviews of all these others.

Visited February 2013
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Cinco Estrellas”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

An amazing evening with great food, service and ambiance. After two weeks of living and dining in Oaxaca, I thought that I had tried all of the best places in the city and surrounding countryside. Man, am I glad that we stumbled into this place! A great place to have your first Chapulines (Grasshoppers) experience, expand your mole definitions and save room for dessert. The service here is friendly and responsive without overwhelming your casual diners. Thank you to the service crew and the Chefs on the night of January 14th!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Krys W
Edgardo A, Owner at Catedral Restaurante & Bar, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Krys,

On behalf of the entire team of the Restaurant Catedral I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments.

We hope that the next time you come back to Oaxaca you will visit us again.

Best regards,

Edgardo
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A tasteless experience”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Sometimes you can't believe everything you read it seems. Based on good reviews, we went to Catedral on arriving in Oaxaca. We ordered the Oaxacan platter for two and it was so bland. We were given no cutlery to eat it with and some of the meal was just left on another table. We had to get up and collect it and then ask to make sure it was indeed part of our meal. We arrived after travelling through Mexico for two months and it was without doubt the worst meal of our trip. It was also so dark in the courtyard that I needed to use the light on my phone to read the menu and I struggled to work out what I was eating due to the ack of light and flavour.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jedpitm
Dear guest,

My name is Edgardo Aguilar and I am the owner of the Restaurant Catedral. I am very surprised by your negative experience and in order to be able to follow up I kindly ask you to provide me with the date and general details that you remember of that evening. Please send this information to edgardo.aguilar@restaurantecatedral.com.mx, your help will be greatly appreciated in order to avoid any similar incident in the future.

Best regards and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Edgardo