New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Cinco Estrellas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catedral Restaurante & Bar

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 409 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Cinco Estrellas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

An amazing evening with great food, service and ambiance. After two weeks of living and dining in Oaxaca, I thought that I had tried all of the best places in the city and surrounding countryside. Man, am I glad that we stumbled into this place! A great place to have your first Chapulines (Grasshoppers) experience, expand your mole definitions and save room for dessert. The service here is friendly and responsive without overwhelming your casual diners. Thank you to the service crew and the Chefs on the night of January 14th!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Krys W
Edgardo A, Owner at Catedral Restaurante & Bar, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Krys,

On behalf of the entire team of the Restaurant Catedral I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments.

We hope that the next time you come back to Oaxaca you will visit us again.

Best regards,

Edgardo

Bristol, United Kingdom
“A tasteless experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Sometimes you can't believe everything you read it seems. Based on good reviews, we went to Catedral on arriving in Oaxaca. We ordered the Oaxacan platter for two and it was so bland. We were given no cutlery to eat it with and some of the meal was just left on another table. We had to get up and collect it and then ask to make sure it was indeed part of our meal. We arrived after travelling through Mexico for two months and it was without doubt the worst meal of our trip. It was also so dark in the courtyard that I needed to use the light on my phone to read the menu and I struggled to work out what I was eating due to the ack of light and flavour.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jedpitm
Dear guest,

My name is Edgardo Aguilar and I am the owner of the Restaurant Catedral. I am very surprised by your negative experience and in order to be able to follow up I kindly ask you to provide me with the date and general details that you remember of that evening. Please send this information to edgardo.aguilar@restaurantecatedral.com.mx, your help will be greatly appreciated in order to avoid any similar incident in the future.

Best regards and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Edgardo
Eugene, Oregon
“Wrong Place, or Wrong Time?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

You know how sometimes you just hit the wrong night? Maybe that’s what happened at Catedral. It was a beautiful evening for sitting on the central patio, fresh air and an almost-full moon. Even the food arrived at our table with elegant presentation and gracious service. Alas, the flavors didn’t live up to the appearance. We found our choices flat and disappointing. Perhaps that response can be partially blamed on the arrival of a large family group with three exceedingly loud and lively children at the table next to us. Or maybe it was the plaintive notes of “I Did it My Way” wailing from the electric keyboard in the entry. Somehow, nothing quite jelled for us.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank SpiritedWalker
Edgardo A, Owner at Catedral Restaurante & Bar, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion, your feedback is of utmost importance to us.
We do appologize that your dining experience was not satisfactory, please kindly send us a private message to edgardo.aguilar@restaurantecatedral.com.mx with your contact details in order to be able to follow up on your comments.

Best regards & happy new year

Edgardo Aguilar
Restaurante Catedral
Mexico City, Mexico
“Definitely try it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

It is a very nice restaurant. It was the first one we visited when we arrived to Oaxaca so it was a great welcome. The service is the excellent. You can try real oaxaquenan food and everything was on time. We thought that after all that good service and great food the bill would be high but we were positively surprised. Don't hesitate and stop by Catedral!

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Christian P
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Have walked by for years, now I'm walking IN and love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I always overlooked El Catedral, as I frequently walked by it walking down Garcia Virgil. But then I began hearing the buzz and decided to do our group Farewell Dinner there and everyone said it was their favorite dining experience in Oaxaca. The mole negro, the salmon and the roasted lechon were all delicious. I'm not a big dessert eater, but can't help ordering them here as they too delicious. The service was very warm and attentive. I highly recommend El Catedral. It is in my top two restaurants in Oaxaca.

Visited December 2012