“Definitely try it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catedral Restaurante & Bar

Catedral Restaurante & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Catedral Restaurante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 432 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mexico City, Mexico
“Definitely try it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

It is a very nice restaurant. It was the first one we visited when we arrived to Oaxaca so it was a great welcome. The service is the excellent. You can try real oaxaquenan food and everything was on time. We thought that after all that good service and great food the bill would be high but we were positively surprised. Don't hesitate and stop by Catedral!

1 Thank Christian P

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Have walked by for years, now I'm walking IN and love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I always overlooked El Catedral, as I frequently walked by it walking down Garcia Virgil. But then I began hearing the buzz and decided to do our group Farewell Dinner there and everyone said it was their favorite dining experience in Oaxaca. The mole negro, the salmon and the roasted lechon were all delicious. I'm not a big dessert eater, but can't help ordering them here as they too delicious. The service was very warm and attentive. I highly recommend El Catedral. It is in my top two restaurants in Oaxaca.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank TiaSteph
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice setting, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Dined 28 Dec with a reservation for a specific table @ 7:30. Arrived on time, the table was ready but right beside our table was a set up for 14 expected to arrive at 8pm. We asked to move and were promptly seated in a separate section of the restaurant. There were few diners at first but as the evening progressed the restaurant began to fill. The service started out great but as time passed the service noticeably slowed. By the end of the meal we had to flag down staff to get dessert, coffee and the bill.
The restaurant has a decent wine selection with several Mexican choices. We asked for a Santo Tomas cab. They did not have it and offered the same winery Barbera for more money. Declined and chose a L.A. Cetto which was delivered.
Enjoyed the house Sopa Cathedral which was very tasty. The chicken in mole sauce was OK & the BBQ pork ribs in green sauce were a small portion but nicely cooked.
Overall the dinner was fine, the setting excellent and the restaurant can be recommended.

1 Thank Ted M
Charleston, South Carolina
“Delicious! Fabulous service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Catedral was a fantastic meal! We enjoyed everything we ordered from the wine, to the appetizers, soups, salads and entrees. Everything was fresh and delicious. The salsa made table side was a particular highlight. It was about 80 dollars for three people. What a deal for fine service, food and ambiance. Definitely worth a visit!

Visited October 2012
New York, NY
“One of the top restaurants in Oaxaca, but not perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

After reading several reviews, I went to Catedral to see if it lived up to the hype. The person who joined me lived in Oaxaca for 5 years. I am a food lover, I often go to top rated restaurants and food tastings, so I admit I have high standards. Here is my opinion:

Positives:
Overall, a gorgeous setting and top top service.
A nice selection of various dishes characteristic of Oaxaca, including worm sauce and black mole... The crepes here are excellent, definitely recommend.
The ravioli with suckling pig also unique, through too salty.

Feels like an expensive 5 star restaurant, but actually is not that much more expensive than some of the other top rated restaurants in town, a good deal.

Negatives:
The food was excellent but not the best I've had in Oaxaca. I tried the black mole, it was complex but too sweet. Also some of the food had too much salt. I suggest ordering sauces (except for moles) without salt, and then add the salt yourself, to suit your tastes.

Overall Catedral is definitely worth a visit. If you are really really into purely food (over atmosphere), there are better places in Oaxaca. But if you want to experience a romantic beautiful setting, five star service and a classic restaurant experience, then this is the place to go.

• Visited October 2012