“Outstanding food in elegant environment”

Restaurante Catedral
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurante Catedral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 543 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our favorite meal while in Oaxaca. Excellent service, lots of menu options, delicious food, and served in a lovely small courtyard. Recommend the salad with raspberry and goat cheese, mole amarillo, and the fantasia de chocolate for dessert.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Too modern schmancy for this diner. Felt like I was eating on a space ship. Expected someone to say "Warp speed" at any moment. Nouveau cuisine. Good Luck

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I visited the restaurant for their Sunday buffet today. I was completely satisfied in every respect. First, the dining areas are beautiful. The tables are generously sized, well separated, and set with cloth table coverings and cloth napkins. We saw three large dining rooms open today, one of which was partially open to the sky (though with a retractible cover). The restaurant was probably a third full when we arrived, and more people were arriving during our time there.

The service was prompt and personable. Our waiter spoke excellent English, but my wife and I (from the USA but now living in Mexico) wanted to speak Spanish, so we joked about it and spent our time together speaking both languages. A second waiter also spoke flawless English. They handled taking our orders, delivering food and clearing the table with great efficiency.

I'm not a fan of buffets, however this one was an exception. Two full-time servers handled the food line-up, the variety of food was excellent and tasty, and nothing seemed like it had sat too long. The hot food was hot, and the cold food was cold. The desserts were marvelous as well.

Through it all, we were serenaded by an accomplished piano player. I didn't find one thing lacking in the experience, and we will definitely return.

With all the talk about the prices at this restaurant in other reviews, you should know that the price per person was 160 pesos--about $12.80 US per head at current exchange rates. I regard this as more than fair--in fact, a bargain given the total experience.

1  Thank Jaime_P97
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The food, service and ambiance were all excellent. I thought the prices were high (in the range of $18 to $22 US for a main course at the current exchange rate), but if that price range is comfortable for you, then it's a good value in my opinion. Personally I feel that there is better value in some other Oaxacan restaurants.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was driven into this resturant by the rain and was delighted by what I found. Every detail, from the food, the wine, the service, the ambiance, the music and even the bathrooms were wonderful. I only regret my stomach was not larger...I would have eaten more. I've been in Mexico for nearly 2 months now, and this is in my top 5 experiences. My total cost for a soup, main entree, two glasses of wine and tequila was, with tip, just over $500 pesos, not bad.

If I had to look for something wrong, I'd say it was their sangrita (the tomato juice drink that goes with tequila). It was quite poor and probably from a bottle.