“Very Good Food. No Excellent Food.”
Review of Los Danzantes

Los Danzantes
Reserve with OpenTable
Los Danzantes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 507 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Los Danzantes is a complete experience for all the senses: food, mezcal, service, decoration, ambience and music join to get that result. Traditional with a touch of nouveau ceeating a relaxing environment perfect to enjoy a unique meal! (A customer).
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Los Danzantes always runs the risk of being cold in the evening in winter, but I see they have installed gas heaters so at least your top half will be warm. And a restaurant with such a high profile runs the risk of being expensive and poor value. But not here.

In early March 2013 it was a warm night and the lovely physical atmosphere added to the pleasure of the evening along with discovering that their chef is French from Nantes and lives and works here because he is married to a Mexican who won't leave.
I asked him how a Frenchman learned to cook Mole and he replied,
"With difficulty, I had to do a lot of training and research in many villages and it was hard work."
His Mole was excellent.

Service was excellent although the chairs are a bit uncomfortable and the wine by the glass is poor. Don't be cheap buy a bottle.

We had the grasshoper thingy for a starter and were a bit disappointed (me) and happy (Jill) that there were no actual grasshoppers visible in it. It is a sort of strong soup with plenty of flavour and just a little spicy. It is a bit reminiscent of Mulligatawny, but of course that has no chocolate in it.
I had a rather nice main course of pork ribs in a kind of black lightly spiced mole sauce which had a slight sweet and sour flavour and which had me scraping every last bit of it off the plate. The meat fell off the bones which I also chewed in a disgusting fashion until I had eaten and sucked every last bit out of them. I think I liked that dish.
It came incongruously with some papas brava, which I also wolfed down.

Jill made a brave attempt at the grashopper thingy and after turning up her pert little nose at it, scoffed the lot. Did I mention the little crispy matchsticks of tortilla floating on top. She thought they were the grasshoppers. She has obviously never seen a grasshopper.
She is a piscatarian so she had the vegetarian lasagne, a dish which in my opinion should have been killed at birth, but I have to say it was quite edible and had a nice red sauce with it. It was not overpowered by the cheese or the bechemal and had a good mix of vegetables and herbs with a touch of mint.. So it was a dish cooked up by the chef, not one he downloaded from the internet. If you are a vegetarian it was lovely and Jill's nose was definitely turned down as she gave it the thumbs up. Maybe they would like to try a fish lasagne with Tuna, I like that. Or even better real lasagne with meat! S'il vous plait Monsieur.

Sadly we chose the wrong desert, but I wanted to try a pastel with cream cheese and membrillo.
However the people at the next table were having the chocolate pudding which I could see from 3 feet away was totally correct with chocolate pouring out all over the plate and a light brown crust. I went over and asked the people eating it and they said it was excellent, but didn't offer me a taste. Well one lives in hope.
The place has a small cocktail bar and good cocktails if you are waiting for friends.
Not a Mexican in sight except for the staff, apart from the price you could have been in the US. But then in the US the food wouldn't have been as good. The portion size was good. We shared a starter and desert and had quite enough to feel full.

Mainly I am disapointed when I eat out that food is not as good as I cook at home, this time I was disapointed that I can't cook this well at home.

If this review is accepted I will become a Senior Reviewer. As if it is not bad enough being 63 now I will be reminded of it every time I fire up Tripadvisor. Still at least in Mexico age is respected.

2  Thank Derek G
Gerente de Rela... P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Los Danzantes, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Sir, thank you so much for all your comments and insights on your visit to Danzantes, its nice to hear people making suggestions to better our food and service. We are glad you got to talk with our souschef and try great dishes, we will obviously take in great account all your suggestions and we hope to see you again soon so you can continue to experience our interpretation of Mexican food

Reviewed February 28, 2013

There are many fine restaurants serving good Oaxacan food. The simple ones cost about US$3 for a good meal, the more upscale ones about US$10. I wanted to try some top end gourmet ones that offer New style Mexican or fusion cooking and that is what I am reviewing. They all cost about US$20 unless noted. Service and ambiance is good at all the ones I tried.
4 stars: danzantes. I had seared tuna steak. it was perfectly cooked and attractively served. most of menu is new style of mexican standards with a couple more offbeat choices like the tuna.
5 stars: The best one by far is Origen. It has an extremely varied menu and I went several times
Other 4 stars: I also went to Catedral and Casa Oaxaca. These were all good and similar price except Casa Oaxaca which is about $35 average. They each had one or two unusual dishes but menus were mainly Mexican standard but served more attractively often in new style..
2 stars: I also went to Café Bistrot Epicurio. Same price but pretty disappointing.
Several of these have one or 2 microbrewery beers but Origen has 8 to choose from.
I have written reviews of all these others.

Gerente de Rela... P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Los Danzantes, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments, we appreciate the time you took to do such a thorough review on all restaurants, we would widely appreciate to receive more of your insights in our restaurant, we hope to see you again soon in Danzantes, for further comments on your visit please address them to rpoaxaca@losdanzantes.com

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were treated to a dinner at Los Danzantes for our anniversary and we couldn’t have been more pleased. The 2-storey adobe walls and gorgeous reflecting pools set the stage for a special evening. Unlike the previous writer, we had terrific service and superb Oaxacan cuisine. It’s a little pricier than most restaurants in the area, but then again, it’s a special place!

2  Thank MLF1955

We are delighted to hear you had a great experience in Danzantes, we are proud as a restaurant to hear you had a superb dinner and enjoy our overall interpretation of Mexican cuisine, we hope to see you again soon and provide you of a similar if not better experience.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We thought we saved the best for last. Don't get me wrong, Los Danzantes was quite good, but it was not what we thought one of the top five restaurants in Oaxaca should be. It is very near the main Basicila and an easy walk around the shopping streets. To enter, you go through a small mall with a wonderful textile shop then enter this cavernous room with a very high brick wall on one side with an open roof that can be closed if the weather is bad (hardly ever). Los Danzantes looks like it could be in New York or Los Angeles with very contemporary decor. Service was very attentive but mechanical. I had the sweet & sour shrimp which were yummy but did taste a lot like something I've had in an upscale Asian restaurant. My partner had fish with a mole sauce that was excellent. Even though this was obviously one of Oaxaca's better restaurant, our bill was only about $50.00 with one shared appetizer, two entrees, two beers and no dessert.

Thank you so much for your comments, we would appreciate if you could broaden your comments on specifics to rpoaxaca@losdanzantes.com so we can attend more punctually to the aspects you think we should improve, we are glad you had a nice experience and hope to hear from you and see you again in Danzantes in your next visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been in Oaxaca for the past five days and have dined out each evening. We have tried the top-rated restaurants each evening and have been delighted with the quality of the food and the service in each restaurant we have visited in Oaxaca. We intentionally left Los Danzantes for a special Sunday evening dinner. We arrived on time to find a staff that appeared to care less about serving their customers than chatting with each other at the bar. We waited over ten minutes for our server to come to our table to take our drink order - I finally went to the bar and ordered myself! One of our couples waited twenty minutes for their bottle of wine to arrive at the table. Re-orders of drinks also took a trip to the bar.

Our waiter appeared unwilling to separate each couple's bill - we did the tally at the end of the meal. Luckily for the staff the tip was added to the bill. I doubt many of us would have left a tip given the poor service we received.

A deposit of $500 was required to confirm our reservation and was NOT calculated in the final bill. This was resolved quickly but was puzzling considering the restaurant was less than half full.

Our food was generally good but nothing stood out as we had expected it would. The reviews we read exceeded what arrived at our table. Price was comparable to the other restaurants that we have visited here in Oaxaca.

During our next few days in Oaxaca we will likely re-visit one or two of the best restaurants we have found here. Los Danzantes will not be on our list in the future.

Gerente de Rela... P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Los Danzantes, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Sir/Madame
We cannot express how sorry we are you had such a bad experience in our establishment, let me assure you we will look thoroughly into it and get to the bottom of the problem to solve it. We are truly shocked to hear such a bad review, we would like you to give us a new opportunity to clear this experience from your record and form a new one based on our usual service.
Again we can’t begin to tell you how sorry we are for your experience, thank you for all your comments, please if you would like to visit us again or comment more on your visit do not hesitate and write to rpoaxaca@losdanzantes.com.