“Customer Service flop”
Review of Cafe Brujula

Cafe Brujula
Ranked #1 of 25 Coffee & Tea in Oaxaca
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Specialty Grade coffee, artisan coffee roasting, and homemade baked goods and snacks.
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Returning to my hometown, I was surprised to see that Cafe Brujula had expanded. It made me happy to see a place that me and my wife love doing well. We went to the one located on Garcia Vigil and we were left for over 20 minutes without any sign of help from the staff. It was not even the time of the day where the place is full. We waited for about 15 minutes without even having a menu until I decided to ask if somebody had even noticed us. I was polite and at not time I was demanding anything. An employee who was at the counter told me that somebody was going to be with us shortly. We waited for over five more minutes and I had enough of the poorest customer service in the last few years that I ever had. To make things worse, as we were leaving this establishment, the employee who told me that somebody was coming to our table to help us, was smiling sarcastically to his fellow workmates as if we were in the wrong. I decided to ignore this because they need customers and not the other way around. To be fair on my review, we went two days after this bad experience -1/15/14- to the other location on Alcala to buy roasted coffee and the service was outstanding. We love their house blend too much that we wanted to give them a second chance. This time we were treated promptly, respectfully and we had a good time. I hope that the bad service was just an isolated issue and not related to the fact that I am a local looking to enjoy a good cup of coffee.

1  Thank 944Cesar7

Reviewed January 16, 2014

My sister lives in Oaxaca City and this was one of the first places she took us. I really helps ease you into the city. It is very much like a coffee shop at home (if your home is in the States), with the usual options; Americano (black coffee), lattes (coffee and milk) and iced coffee. They also have sandwiches like turkey and vegetarian, also a slice of home. I would recommend their Italian sodas, I got hooked. The staff is very accommodating to non-Spanish speakers. They are friendly and try to work with you.

Black coffee runs around $2 (USD) and sandwiches were around $6.

They have a beautiful courtyard to sit in and local periodicals to read. They also have a great bulletin board to check out stuff going on around town. I visited this place about three times in my 12 day visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We went to the branch of this cafe on the main pedestrian street (not the larger one up by Santo Domingo church) and it was just superb. A beautiful sunny courtyard and respite from the heat and the crowds. Plus the coffee was some of the best I have tasted anywhere. Comfortably our best coffee in Mexico plus delicious cool drinks for our daughter (the iced chocolate put a smile on her face). Highly recommend a pit stop here.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is the right choice for a good coffee in Oaxaca and not the Italian Coffee chain you can find at every second corner.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We just LOVE Brujula! Especially the one on Alcala. We went there every day to enjoy the great coffee. We tried Nuevo Mundo and it is fine, but the Brujula on Alcala has a wonderful warm atmosphere with the courtyard, plants, & whimsical posters. The kids working the counter are always friendly and welcoming. The coffee was always strong witha super-smooth finish - never bitter. The sandwich on whole wheat with turkey and vegetables was a nice change from the local fare. One of highlights of our visit!