“Average good if you have to part with your money!”

L Osteria del Becco
Ranked #489 of 4,315 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Mazarik & Horacio
“Average good if you have to part with your money!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Can't complaint about the food which was average good. Unfortunatelly it is a restaurant that I felt was really overpriced for Mexican standarts. I dont think I got my money's worth. A really small glass of Merlot wine for US 15.00 plus tip is double than any other restaurant in the area will charge. A small dish of regular pasta US 20.00 plus tip is excesive. Of course they keep pushing the black truffle which was grated (?) on any dish doubling the price. Service was mediocre since we were not the "big spenders".The sommelier frankly obnoxious. I might return someday, sometime, perhaps if I am an invited guest! Otherwise just plain forget it!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Alexander D

“Not worth the money”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Italian Food is my favourite dish and I am a frequent Business traveler, eating italian Food all the time in many places in the World. L'Osteria del Becco is extremely overpriced compared to the Quality of Food, the mediocre and rather superficial service. I have invited some customers there because the place was recommended to me by a local friend. Unfortunately the place did not fulfill our expectations at all. The prices are at the level of a top quality 5 star restaurant in Switzerland but L'Osteria del Becco does not even get near to the quality standards of such a place. The huge wine card they give you is nothing but show! The have even not a 30% of the wines in their cellar as they are supposed to have as per their wine card. The recommendation of the sommelier did unfortunately not meet any of our table's taste. Food was OK but do I really have to pay over USD 60.00 for a simple plate of Ravioli? Even not at the fanciest place in Florence you have to pay such high prices for a simple plate of pasta. A cocktail costed me USD 19.00 which is totally overpriced even for a restaurant in Polanco. And last but not least, after giving a relatively good tip of 15% I had to beg and argue around with the head of waiters to get a simple receipt for our huge bill. I can definitely not recommend this restaurant and will not return there.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank steffu68
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great Italian food and great service!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am surprised it doesn't have a higher rating. The service is great, super attentive but not in your face all the time. I ordered a superb lobster risotto, very recommended! I spent a long time in Italy and ate some amazing food there and I have to say it was probably the best risotto I've had outside of Italy. The wine list is one of the most extensive I have seen in Mexico City, and range from about 60 USD (750 pesos) to about 4500 USD (50,000 pesos) a bottle. The sommelier really knows his wines, we asked him to recommend a couple of glasses of wine for us and they were all great and cost about 15 - 25 USD (180 - 300 pesos) a glass. DO specify how much you're willing to spend if you ask for a recommendation though because it can get expensive! It's a bit on the expensive side for Mexican standards but if you're a foreigner you probably won't find it THAT expensive. You will most likely spend around 100 USD + per person depending on what you eat. The atmosphere is elegant and a bit quiet, but you can still have a good time with friends and family no doubt.

• Visited October 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Truly great service but overpriced.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

The staff deserves and honorable mention, truly well trained. The wine list (italian) is one of the best in town. However this place is way overpriced! I'm the first to admit that you get what you pay for however I think that a 19 dollar gray goose martini and 60 dollars for a small plate of ravioli, around 6-7. It's is a little much... it was good but not that good. Anybody that has enjoyed fine italian dining will put their money somewhere else.

2 Thank ordgirl
Seattle, Washington
“Dining euphoria”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We can only guess that the only reason this place doesn't rank higher here is because there just haven't been enough reviews by folks who really enjoy fine Italian dining.

On repeated visits, we have found the food, wine and service all intoxicating. We have dined at numerous other Italian establishments in Mexico City and none of them were worth mentioning.

The wine list is definitely worth mentioning - it has to be one of the most comprehensive list of Italian wines in all of Mexico - about 5cm thick. On top of which the sommelier is very knowledgeable about what's in stock but exudes a sense of humility that encourages and engages the amateur oenophile. The cava is also a pleasure to look at.

The food has always been excellent every time we've been here, no matter how crowded it was. Pasta has never been over or under done - always al dente the way we like it. Other dishes always came quickly and at perfect temperature. The grilled octopus and veggies is worth noting - octopus neither too chewy nor too soft, and you know the veggies were at their peak maturity because only the slightest seasoning is used and all the natural flavors come through stunningly. Our only 'complaint': the portions could be smaller so that when you're there in small groups, you could order more dishes. The character of the food is Italian true to tradition, but with slight modern upgrades.

The service: friendly, professional, discrete, engaging but never intrusive. You can tell they have been trained very well. We never had to wait for the next dish to arrive and when they arrived, it was as hot as it should have been. Before they knew we spoke Spanish, several of the staff spoke to us in English - the best we've heard in Mexico - barely a hint of the local accent and better grammar than many Americans! We could swear the staff could have been trained in some kind of butler academy from the days gone by. This does not mean, however, that they were aloof or stiff in any way, if that's what you think of butlers.

Overall, this ranks as one of the best Italian restaurants we have ever dined at, in major metropolises throughout the world (Europe - incl. Italy, N/S America, Asia). Our only regret is that we will unlikely have the chance to come again.

• Visited September 2012