“One of my most memorable & joyful dining experiences ever!!”
Review of Specia

Specia
Ranked #433 of 4,906 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Condesa
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was a guest to of my most favorite people in the world, and once upon a time, not long ago, they took us here for dinner. I don't know why, if it was the late hour, but we had the place to ourselves! The staff knew my friends who were warmly received. We sat at a beautiful table in the back and marveled as we were told the history of the building. I believe it was built in the 1700's. We heard about Pope John Paul eating here. (There is a menu page dedicated to what he ate and you can order it as your meal). A round of perfectly chilled Zubrowkas arrived and we all clinked our tubular vials and it was surprisingly smooth & warmed me to my toes. Next came the delicious crepes...Then our host picked a lovely red wine and I had a delicious soup. I ordered fish and my companion ordered the duck so we shared. Delicious!! I cannot remember what we had for dessert but I know it was heavenly. The high vaulted ceilings, the delicious food, and the VIP treatment was all amazing but the highlight of the night was the Piano player, who was decked out in a white tuxedo, asked my host what he would like to hear. Throughout our several courses we were treated to a lovely serenade of traditional Mexican songs and we all enjoyed the passionate delivery of them. Then came the moment when my jaw dropped. The pianist, knowing we were Americans, all of a sudden started a medley of classic American songs..hearing him jam out "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey & Billy Joels' "Piano Man" brought me to tears. (Happy ones). I have never felt so special in any resteraunt in the entire world, and I've been to thousands. Great food, Service, Beautiful friends & a sprinkle of Pixie Dust made this girl feel like a princess as I left under the long striped awning. Muchas Gracias Senor y Senora Castrejon por darnos un regalo tan especial y la memoria!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place worths the visit. Nice, simple decorations, great service (friendly, attentive, fast, with a timing that wow!), tasty polish food with the right amount. It is different (polish food) and besides the other virtues it makes the place more interesting. It has a lot of customers.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I must admit that before going to specia I was absolutely ignorant in terms of polish food and Specia left me very pleasantly surprised.

Advised by a returning customer friend of mine, we started out with a small glass of almost frozen vodka which was very good. He warned that his favorite on the menu was the house specialty, the "duck tin", and that it was a very big portion, half a duck! Therefore we didnt order starters and were simply brought a small crepe with a herring mousse that was amazing.

Very shortly afterwards we were brought our plates with a beautiful looking half duck, some sauerkraut, a baked apple with what i beleive was a blueberry sauce and some mashed potatoes. The duck was simply delicious with a crunchy crust (the skin was covered with some sort of rub) and very tender imn the inside.

I am quite a fan of duck and this was delicious!

For dessert we shared a crepe filled with softc cheese and bathed in a blueberry sauce that was also very good.

As a side note, the people in the table next to ours seemed to be enjoying some very good sausages, I think Ill try those next time.

Great food mixed with very good service and a good ambience made the experience fantastic.

1  Thank Jptraveller21
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Specia was an ideal place to spend a romantic evening meal. Despite it being Saturday we had the place to ourselves, at least inside, and the ambience and service were very conducive to our mood.

The menu is large and if, like me, you aren't very well versed in Polish cuisine, contains a number of interesting options throughout, from the starters to the desserts. My curiosity was stimulated and it would take a number of return visits to quench my interest I'm sure.

For the starter we opted for two of the soups, my wife went for the mushroom soup which was through the recommendation of the waiter, and I went for plum soup for the novelty. The latter was listed as "an experience" on the menu, which is usually a euphemism for "be warned", and I'd say it was warranted. I can only imagine that the original Polish recipe calls for sharper plums, which when adapted to the large sweet dessert plums available in Mexico, well, it was an experience, let's leave it at that. Unfortunately the mushroom soup wasn't great either, it was almost overpoweringly strong in flavour and very salty. Not catastrophically so, but it quickly outstayed its welcome on the palate.

Having read the reviews on here, we went for the signature dish of the restaurant, tin duck. As one would hope, it was delicious and rescued the meal for us, beautifully succulent duck, well seasoned, cooked with an apple stuffing and well accompanied on the plate. Take note, the portion is a half duck, but they are more than happy to split that for two people, which is what we did and we both had plenty on the plate still.

The wine selection is above average (for a restaurant in México that is) but won't set your pulse racing. But there is an excellent range of tequilas (and to a lesser extent mezcales) to choose from, I tried an excellent añejo called Mi Vieja. I know a bit about tequila and can judge a decent selection from a mediocre one, and this restaurant fell firmly in the former category.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and we left contented and replete, to the extent that a couple of circuits walking around the hipodromo were most welcome before catching the taxi home.

1  Thank Bo_Duke
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Excellent polish cuisine, duck is the very special treat The service is superb