“My first time here for breakfast...I have eaten lunch and dinner here many times over the years”

Restaurante Antiguo San Angel Inn
Ranked #12 of 4,906 Restaurants in Mexico City
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Angel
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Interesting people watching...well dress society women and their friends having breakfast.

Food and service are as always very good...but as expected not inexpensive

Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The first time we were in Mexico City we looked in through the courtyard door of the San Angel after visiting Diego Rivera's studio just over the road, but thought that it looked a) so pretty that it must be horribly expensive and b) the sort of place you needed to dress less casually than we were. We were wrong on both accounts. We went on a Sunday, when lots of families were having a relaxed and extended lunch. Some were dressed smartly, some casually, children were enjoying the gardens while older people sipped their margaritas. We enjoyed everything about it, from the history, to the gardens, to the chateau briande, to the price. And possibly the best margaritas in the world!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were taken to this restaurant by our hosts, luckity, as it is absolutely stunning. The hacienda is beautiful with stunning gardens. The decor is typically Spanish style with every detail fantastic from the porcelain to the glassware. Our meal was out of this world and the staff very attentive. I am so happy to have visited San Angel Inn and would be here frequently if I lived in Mexico. I wish I could give this restaurant a ten star rating!

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

As you enter the restaurant's courtyard you're transported into another epoch in the past.
A beautiful landscape in the chiostro, local musicians accompany fresh amazing flavors. No foodie would be disappointed.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went there during our visit to Mexico city, because my mexican friend recommended us. It is pretty pompous place with last century interior. We went at around 4-5 pm, but the place was packed with a lot of extended families dining in no rush. It was a lot of fun to observe the crowd and waiters running around with old-fashion trays. I felt like in an old mexican soup opera. I really enjoyed the whole procedure of several dishes, but the food was ok. Overall it was totally worth going there (even thought kind of pricy) to observe people and tradition interior. As a bonus it is located right by Studio-home of Diego Rivero and Frida Kahlo, that is amazing piece of architecture.