“Great seafood in Mexico City”
Review of Contramar

Contramar
Ranked #9 of 4,447 Restaurants in Mexico City
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Condesa
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Great seafood in Mexico City”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had lunch here yesterday after a friend back home suggested I try this if I can get in. So I took the metro and found Contramar pretty easily. It is in a nice neighborhood in the Roma District. The place was packed and this was around 1 pm. Since I was a single person it was easy to get a seat at the bar but nearly every table inside and out was full and so was the bar by the time I left. I had a spicy dish of fresh octopus and shrimp in a red chili adobo sauce and a local Victoria beer. Dessert was the guava cheesecake. The meal was very good and the service was incredible. My waiter paid incredible attention and recognizing that I don't speak Spanish that well brought an English menu and even showed me a few dishes as they were going out before I ordered. Everything about the experience was wonderful. dessert was incredible and I would definitely recommend eating here.

• Visited March 2013

Menlo Park, California
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We came during off hours on a warm Saturday (around 5 or 6 pm), and we still had to wait about 45 minutes to be seated, but the food was well worth it. The staff is super cordial and attentive and once seated, they take your order and in no time your food comes out. Highly recommend their tostadas de atun (tuna toasts), slight smokey flavor that bursts in your mouth. Equally impressive were the rest of the dishes we had, Ceviche de Callo, Camarones al tequila and almejas chocolata (clams- though these are not your typical small clams found in the U.S., quite large but oh so fresh that when you squeezed fresh lime over them, they still moved, mmm!). For dessert, a fig tart made in house, with scrumptious cream cheese filling topped with fresh figs. What a wonderful way to spend my first afternoon in Mexico City.

• Visited February 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
“Contramar: The See and Be Seen Scene of Seafood”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nearly every fashion magazine includes a mention of Contramar. Located in the trendy La Roma neighborhood, the restaurant is only open for lunch, and has a long wait if you somehow neglected to make a reservation.

Fugitive foodies who've escaped the TuriBus, fashionistas, large groups of weekday co-workers and weekend families, ensure that this restaurant is always full.

We had wonderful ceviche, tuna tostada, carnitas de pescado and grilled fish (pescado a la talla). Everything was great. Staff and menus are bi-lingual.

• Visited February 2013
Monterrey
“Great Place for Seafood”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Try the Pescado a la Talla is great: Reservation required or at least arrive early really crowded place. Great for seafood and service

Visited February 2013
nyc
“Beautiful in every way”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We came here straight from the airport - so glad we did! Food, service, decor, atmosphere are all marvelous. Its not open for dinner, so we walked in at 2 pm hoping they were still serving lunch (ha! In this town, people start lunch at 3 pm, especially on a beautiful sunny friday) and even though we didn't have reservations they found us a table for two (and would have seated us at the bar otherwise). Meal began with complimentary pickled vegetables and a spicy but delicious endive salad. For starters, we ordered the octopus tostadas and the house ceviche. Both were fantastic - fresh, full of flavor, very generous portions of seafood and lovely crisp chips to eat them with. Then came the main course, which was grilled fish "contramar" - that is, one side topped with rioja and the other with a kind of salsa verde. Oh my. Fish was falling off the bone tender, topping was delicious and it all came with warm tortillas and amazingly delicious black beans to eat it with. Finish with plantain tart (filled with dulce de leche), topped with two glasses of wine, and you couldn't ask for a better welcome to Mexico City.

I want to add that the service is top notch. Friendly and professional, these guys know what they're doing. They even helped us track down our taxi after the meal. And the setting - well. The valet parking stand is your first sign that this isn't your average restaurant. It's a huge sunny and bustling room with high ceilings, lots of light, big modern paintings. And the crowd is a very lively mix of well-heeled and beautiful types having business lunches, catching up with friends, people-watching, and enjoying a fantastic meal! A must-go. I would recommend to everyone.