“I loved it!!!”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Cuija Coyoacan
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

The place is amazing, big, colorful and a true home away from home!!! From the beginning of my stay to the end I felt at peace and safe! Well located in the south part or mexico city and minutes away from the tube. The staff is nice and helpfull and the place is very relaxed and chilled!! A must in the big city ;)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My week long stay here was wonderful. The hostel is in a quite neighbourhood and is very near the the market, and a lovely little zocalo and garden. The metro station is about a 10 min walk, and an easy ride to/from the airport.
I had an entire dorm to myself for most of the stay. The other guest for the most part were older and many were from Mexico.
The breakfast was delicious and the whole place was very clean.

Also a wonderful rooftop!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Phoebetb1
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Cute little hostel in a vivid area, where you feel comfortabel to walk around during the day.
The people in the hostal are super friendly, the breakfast is good and everything is clean.
I stayed in a private room with a private bath, and the price was reasonable.
Don't expect the comfort of a hotel. This is a hostel. And for this, it was really great. I enjoyed my stay there. - Oh, and the Internet connection is perfect!

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't take a bed in one of the rooms for 4 or 6 beds with shared bathroom.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Ice-T5
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for about 3 weeks whilst looking for a permanent residence in Mexico City. Initially I stayed in a private room which was really good value and secure with a private bathroom. I then moved into a shared dorm which had lockers and traditional hostel-style bunk-beds, and a good WiFi connection.

What really made this place a great hostel, was the atmosphere and friendly staff. They were always keen to help and checked up on our progress finding flats, they provided a delicious breakfast every morning which often stopped me needing lunch (great for the budget traveller).

There is also a lovely roof garden which was great when the sun came out, and enough cubicle toilets and showers that I never had to queue. The hostel is a 10 minute walk from a big supermarket, close to the metro and also close to the attractions of the centre of Coyoacán.

I would strongly recommend this place to anyone travelling and accustomed to a traditional style hostel and looking to meet other travellers - of course it's not a luxury place but you will be paying a very reasonable price for a clean and safe place to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Greta M
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here my last night in DF for an "authentic" experience after staying 3 nights in the sparkling JW Marriott Polanco. I almost went right back to Polanco after arriving to my room at Hostal Cuija, the difference was so shocking. I almost stayed here for the entire four nights of my trip, and am SO freakin' glad I decided to stay in Polanco instead. Coyoacan was definitely not what I had imagined, and I was ready to go home within less than 24 hours.

My private room resembled a jail cell; had no windows and was literally a box with a twin bed and nightstand. The musty smell was so strong that I didn't take my possessions out of my suitcase for fear the smell would get on them. I had a private bath that I could barely squeeze into for it was so compact, and the water pressure was so low that the water dripped down the back of the shower head rather than through the nozzle.

The construction of the place felt very shoddy and poor quality, like the building could fall apart any second. Getting to my room was quite an endeavor, requiring a climb up stairs that wrapped circuitously around the whole complex sans handrails; quite the personal injury liability risk.

The only reason I give this place 2 dots rather than 1, is the staff, who were very kind and warmhearted. Breakfast was cooked to order eggs with homemade salsa, with yummy yogurt, coffee, and orange juice. Unfort, I got a bad case of the runs afterwards, but it's all good. Also, the free Internet is nice, as they have four computer terminals with unlimited use of Internet 24-7.
My stay cost around $40USD, which was overpriced for this accommodation, which was worth about $15USD.

Summary: I was generally so uncomfortable during my stay that it soured an otherwise amazing trip. Next time I come to DF, I'll stick to Polanco.

Room Tip: Skip the communal rooms and baths if you care about hygiene; I had to use the communal bath to chang...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank NikkiATX
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here for just over two weeks whilst looking for more long term accommodation in Mexico City. When I first got there, they had mixed up my booking (something that seems to be common) and I was put in a 6 bed dorm instead of a 4 bed, I didn't mind this very much, and most nights my dorm wasn't full. The rooms very very small and a little dark but comfortable nonetheless with a locker to store valuables (bring your own lock). I was provided with new towels and bedding twice while I was there which was great!
The staff were very kind and helpful, although if you don't speak Spanish, you may have some difficulties. There was breakfast included every morning which was really nice and the kitchen had plenty of utensils for doing your own cooking. There is wifi and computers for guests to use too.
The hostel is located on a very nice street close to both the metro station and the lovely centre of Coyoacan, and there are a lot of cafes nearby as well as a supermarket. Most people staying here when I was seemed to be exchange students coming to study in Mexico and was a great place to meet people for me.
Oh, and there is a very nice roof terrace where you can sunbathe!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed there for three nights in February 2013. The place is extremely clean, breakfast (included in the price!) is great and the staff is generally friendly and helpful. They have a really nice garden and roof top, where you can relax. Coyoacan is safe to walk around and we enjoyed it a lot. However, the dorm rooms are absolutely tiny, with hardly any space for your luggage. They are located right next to the lounge, which was dominated by the TV (and Mexican soap opera), which the staff, not the guests, used. The staff couldn't really speak English and there was not really a backpacker-athmosphere, which makes it difficult to meet fellow travelers. Nevertheless, the place is OK for a night or two, especially because it is really clean and Coyoacan is an amazing part of Mexico City.

Room Tip: Try not to take the dorm rooms which you can access directly from the lounge.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends